Cleaning cockpit cushions

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

We have the 1986 OEM tan Catalina cockpit cushions, same kinda ones we had on our 1981 C22 which we moved to our C25.

They are vinyl and the zippers don't work anymore, but I do NOT need to remove the foam, just clean the outsides.

What have you found is good for cleaning them?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,

Good question, would like to know too, cause have to do it.

For the inside one, we brought them home, and rented the steam cleaner that you use to clean carpet and furniture at a rental store.
Used the furniture handle a gave them a good clean, left them outside under a nice sunny day to dry properly.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ralph Masters

Ours were near new when we bought the boat two years ago and we wipe them off and store them in the aft cabin when not in use.  They still look new.

Ralph and AnnMarie
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

We do, too, Ralph, but they NEED to be cleaned now after 13 years of treating them kindly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ted Pounds

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

tommyt

I used Soft Scrub with Bleach on mine. Mine are white with gray trim and as long as you don't scrub really hard I have had no problem over 8 seasons. Because they are white they need it a few times a year. On tan I would test somewhere hidden, but don't think you will have a problem.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

RV61

We use simple green and a soft brush after each trip. Then a couple times a year use star bright vinyl cleaner/restorer. Also store in aft cabin. Look great after nine years except a couple spots where bug repellent slightly discolored .
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Wobegon

MAGIC ERASER!  Works like a charm and easy to use.  I keep a box on the boat in the dock box at all times.  Best invention for cleaning everything on the boat.

lazybone

If you want them to truly look new...
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Analgesic

Ouch!  One of my most painful memories was using the vinyl paint on my beloved closed cell foam cushions that were looking very tired and well beyond cleaning.  They looked fabulous after being painted over the Winter.  On my first big sail of the Spring, a 5 day excursion to the Figawi Race with 6 on board, the paint started coming off in a billion white flecks that was tracked everywhere!  I'm still seeing evidence a year later despite multiple times vacuuming.  My advice-stay away from paint.
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Phil Spicer

Stu, My wife uses bathroom cleanerlike Scrubbing Bubbles or something such as that. Something without an abrasive. Most any will do the job. We split the port side cushion so we could open the locker without lifting the entire cushion. Now we have a true port & stb. cushion. Tops get footprints & cleaned often.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ken Juul

I went to walmart and bought 6 large bath towels and made covers.  So much nicer to sit on the terry rather than the sweaty vinyl.  When they get dirty, just slip them off and throw them in the wash.  Just installed my second set, first ones lasted about 4 seasons.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

lazybone

Quote from: Analgesic on June 21, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
Ouch!  One of my most painful memories was using the vinyl paint on my beloved closed cell foam cushions that were looking very tired and well beyond cleaning.  They looked fabulous after being painted over the Winter.  On my first big sail of the Spring, a 5 day excursion to the Figawi Race with 6 on board, the paint started coming off in a billion white flecks that was tracked everywhere!  I'm still seeing evidence a year later despite multiple times vacuuming.  My advice-stay away from paint.

Sorry to hear about your problem but I painted mine about three years ago and they still look great.  I also painted the seats in an old Alfa Romeo I have and they also have held up well. 
Perhaps it was your the preparation?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Thanks so much to all of you.  Ended up using full strength Simple Green on a washcloth.  Removed nine of the ten years of grime, working on the final year some time next week.  They look much, much better.

Ron Hill

Stu : We did the same as Ken, covered the factory Naugahyde with terry cloth.  

I hate sticking to cushions.  If you use white terry cloth, they will come spotlessly clean with alittle bleach and they stay cooler in the sun.  

A thought.
Ron, Apache #788