Trucking a C34 from New Bern, NC to NYC

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

There are three options in getting a boat from New Bern, NC to NYC
Sail it yourself.
Pay a captain to sail her.
And Marine transport.
Do to lack of time, I am thinking of shipping my soon to be C34 up from New Bern, NC to Brooklyn, NY.
Anybody have any advise on Marine transport that they have used.
Thanks
Ron

Kyle Ewing

There are some lessons learned here (search "Trucking").  There's also a recent thread on the C36 site which includes good information on insurance.  See http://www.c36ia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740.

I'm sure others will add their experience with delivery captains.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Rod Caines

I used Atlantic Boat Transportation for a C34 move last summer from VA to GA.  Very satisfied.

Atlantic Boat Transportation, Inc.
3828 Cherry Run Road
Washington, NC 27889
(800) 382-2628
http://www.atlanticboattransport.com/

Good luck.
Rodney Caines
1987 C-34 Sail La Vie
S/N 352

DaveM

Triton Yachts in Oriental, NC is very good.  I have been a customer of his for years.

http://boattransportservice.com/

Good Winds
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

patrice

Hi
Just had mu c34 moved from long island to upstate ny with
Lighthouse boat transport.
Nice cie
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stephen Butler

Why not call Catalina Yachts in Largo, Florida, and ask them who they use?  We have found CY to be very helpful.  Just a thought
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

frank

Ron, You may want to check out Lockview Marina (www.lockviewmarina.com) who are based in upstate New York. I used them in 2007 to transport a sail boat from Florida to Eastport Maine and was very satisfied with their service.
Frank

RonE

Thanks, lots of good suggestions...
I am still tossing it around whether I want to truck
it up or have it sailed up by a hired captain, and maybe
/sail the last couple of days with him.. I just hate the idea
of breaking down all the gear, standing rigging, all the
Canvas, all the electronics, also worried about the new
alwgrip paint Job. Also worried about the non experienced
People in my marina putting the standing rigging back.
Ron

MarkT

Another thought...

If you sail the boat up to NY you will know every issue the boat has by the time you get there. I know this because I sailed my boat down the Chesapeake to VA a few years ago. You will need time but if weather is in your favor it could be done fairly quickly. You could consider going as far as Cape May via the ditch and the Chesapeake and then Delaware. Then wait for the right window to sail up the NJ coast. An experienced friend or two and yourself could get as far as Cape May in a week or so I'd figure. There would be a lot of motoring and some sailing from first light until after dark. The question would be, is the boat prepared well enough for that kind of trip. Can you trust the engine, batteries, navigation lights, instruments, etc etc..

Baltimore could be a good place to stop and park the boat then come back after a week or two. There is train service so no car hassle when coming back.

Best of luck

Stu Jackson

Quote from: RonE58 on June 17, 2012, 07:25:10 PM
Thanks, lots of good suggestions...
I am still tossing it around whether I want to truck
it up or have it sailed up by a hired captain, and maybe
/sail the last couple of days with him.. I just hate the idea
of breaking down all the gear, standing rigging, all the
Canvas, all the electronics, also worried about the new
alwgrip paint Job. Also worried about the non experienced
People in my marina putting the standing rigging back.
Ron

Ron, you're quite right about "inexperienced" help.  In ALL of my haulouts and splashes (all five of them in 13 years!) I have dropped EVERYTHING I was doing made sure I was there myself.  One of our skippers (or maybe on the C36 Forum) reported that when they re-stepped his mast they neglected to install the inside turnbuckle for his keel stepped mast! (I admit I have forgotten the name of this important item...)  Don't know what you have.  Even if it's deck stepped, sometime yards mess up the wiring.  Yikes!

Two of your three options involves having someone sail the boat.  BEFORE you do so, I strongly urge you to check all of the systems out VERY carefully.  A read of the CRITICAL UPGRADES topic would be a very good starting point.  Whether it's you or a hired skipper, if "stuff" doesn't work, it's gonna be a BAD trip, and you can easily avoid bad trips by careful preparation.  Using the boat for a few days, and staying on board overnight, is usually a pretty good indicator of issues.  Staying "unplugged" for the first night would be very helpful.  Things to check are the electrical system, batteries, fuel filters, do an oil change...all that "preventive maintenance" stuff that'll ruin a good trip.

Oh, and congratulations.  :clap

PS - Please add information to your signature, like year and hull number.  It'll help us to help you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

Awesome trip.
Too bad you can not do this yourself.

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

RonE

The boat is Mary Gee, hull#615, and is a registered boat on this site, the closing is hopefully this Friday.
I started the process of selling my Cape Dory 27 in March and looked at potential boats all along and eventually narrowed it down to the C34. I no the experience of sailing her from New Bern would be cool, I just want to get the boat back at my home port in New York already. I sailed my CD27 up from Annapolis 6 yrs ago and chartered an IP32 in the Chesapeake for a week, and done other boat trips from Maine and Block Island, so I know I could do it. I have lost a number of V days already in this process....
Yes I printed out the 'Must to do list' and I am arranging a rigger, fiberglass guy and marine mechanic to take care of a list of items in the next week or two. I am definitely leaning to taking the boat over before NY and sailing her with friends  part the way.  If the weather window is there, wouldn't you sail her out of Norfolk, say to Ocean City, Maryland and then to say Cape May.
Anyway lots to prepare..
Thanks,
Ron

MarkT

I would have a hard time recommending you go coastal from Norfolk to Cape May. The reason being that this boat is still unknown as to its defects. The Chesapeake is a safe (comparatively) pond with a quick dash across the Delaware to Cape May. Add to that the option to leave the boat at a marina for completion of the journey if things go bad. There is no refuge between Norfolk and Cape May on the Ocean side.

Assuming you go up the bay, once you get to Cape May you will have enough miles to know how the boat sails, how reliable the engine really is and what speed she motors at. Not to mention knowing the boat well enough to be safe for night sailing if required.

When it comes down to it you are the only one that knows your abilities. I'm a cautious sailor.

Mark