Rubrail

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

My Rubrail has been smashed in half, don't think it can be repaired so am going to replace it, looking at the archeives, Ron suggested getting the grey and not the tan, any particular reason? also is there a difference between the "factory" and catalina direct. or has anyone else found a different source. 

Catalina direct wants $248.00 for 82', they list it for the 34's and 42's, under the same price.  Will call and see if they will cut it to the 75' Ron said the length was if I go with them.  Thanks guys  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Last time I called the factory about this, they sold it by the foot. It was $1.88 per foot. This was about three years ago.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Bob : The reason that I recommended the grey, is because the tan that I has seemed to get stained easier and the grey didn't.
Maybe the composition was differant, but my grey still looks great over 15 years later.

As for the length, the factory had me order 80' and I had about 5' left over!!!  
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

Just had a update to this post, Catalina direct sells the tan and the grey, Catalina factory 1-727-544-6681 only sells the grey, the lady was very nice and knowlegable, she said changing from the tan to the grey was in her eyes a upgrade.  She is sending me a  sample of the track and the grey vinyl at no cost.  The cost for the vinyl is $2.50 a foot which is cheaper than Catalina direct because you can  order the correct amount whereas Catalina direct charges a package price for 86' @ $248.00, anyway just some info that may help someone else. Just wondering how the grey will look with all my teak being brown
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Bobg

Ron, in your post you said you ordered 80' and had 5" left over, was that 5" or 5', I hate to cut it that close if it is 5"

Ron Hill

Bob : I did mean about 5 feet left over.  Be a big spender and get 81 feet!!

Guys : Any price you get from Catalina Direct is ALWAYS more costly. 
I purchase ONLY the items from CD that I can't get anywhere else !!
Ron, Apache #788

pablosgirl

Hi Bob,

We did this project 3 years ago after the rubrail was damaged in huricane Ike.  I replace two sections of the aluminum rail track, one 6' long and the other 3' long.  We chose the grey replacement since it mached the grey non-skid of the deck.  The grey also looks good with the varnished teak.  I put a right up in the tech Wiki.  It's under the Hull section.  I would call the Catalina factory and get their current price per foot.  If it is lower then Catalina Direct, them go with them. Buy 80 feet and be sure to try and push as much in the track as you can.  The rubrail will shrink over time.   At the time we did this project we were new to the boat and did not know that it was cheaper to order from the factory.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

foobie

Hey all -

Perfect timing for this topic...Crushed/tore apart part of the extruded aluminum rub rail housing (ALWAYS TRIPLE CHECK YOUR DOCK LINES AFTER A DAY OUT SAILING WITH STRANGE CREW!!!). I only have a 1 foot section or so to replace. What's the best way to cut the extrusion on the boat so the patch is smooth (read: not obvious)?

Danke!

Steve
Steve Eckfield