Forced air heat

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

I am looking into adding forced air heat to the boat so we can enjoy some of the sunny but cool winter weekends away from the dock here in the Northwest.  We don't need cooling.  There seems to be at least two small diesal heaters that will do the job.  We don't want a bulkhead mount in the cabin, but forced air.  Any comments from users out there as to what is best, most quiet, reliable, etc.  What size (BTU output) is comfortable without overkill?  Thanks in advance for any information.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

jentine

I have a 3000 btu Espar.  We use the boat in New England throughout the year.  We generally store in the water and have stayed aboard in January, February when the outside temps have been lower than 10 degrees F.  In the 12 years since installation, I have had no trouble with the system.  I have not even serviced it.  Espar recommends annual service, but not being used regularly, I do not see a need for it.   The unit is well engineered.
Jim Kane

cholder

I agree that Espar units are effective.  We have their D5L unit with outlets in the aft cabin, head, main cabin and foreward cabin on our C34 Mk1.  I've described the installation in a previous email.  

However, now that Espar make a water heater I'd probably go for that unit.  It's slightly smaller, the connections are rubber tubes not 4" ducts and, most of all, you get hot water.  The hot water is passed through radiators with small fans so you get forced air but can control where it's delivered.

hdevera

I recently added a Webasto diesel heater and it works fine.  It is not the first Webasto unit I have had.  I had one on a Morgan 44 and never had a problem. My current unit is mounted in the aft starboard lazarette.  I have ducts to the aft cabin, main cabin, and forward cabin.  All the ductwork is hidden.  It would be easy to install a duct to the head, but I didn't because I usually clean the head by rinsing the whole area down.  Intake for the furnace comes from the lazarette and exhaust is to the stern.  So far my current unit doesn't leave any streaks on the outter hull from the exhaust.  Having it exhausted the way it is, would be easy to clean any yellow streaks that may occur.

hdevera

I incorrectly stated that my Webasto unit was mounted in the starboard aft lazarette.  It acutally is in the port aft lazarette.

Jeff Tancock

Our boat came with a Webasto. Works great. Email me if you want any info on installation.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

jentine

Jack,
I have to agree with Charles on the water heat.  There is no down side.  The up side is that you get hot water as an extra.  Maybe I will get lucky and my air furnace will die. It is always something to look forward to. ;)
Jim Kane

Jack Hutteball

Thank you all for the input.  The Espar water unit sounds good.  Hot water would be a plus.  What about battery drain with the water pump and all the fans going.  Seems like it would be much more than one fan with forced air.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

jentine

Jack, go t www.espar.com. All your questions will be answered.
Jim Kane