pressure regulator in fresh water system

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

I have a leak in the fresh water system in what I think is a back pressure regulator. It is located in line and before the hot water heater. I do not seem to be able to find a replacement at Hamilton's or at West Marine. Explanations for its purpose would be helpful.

A few questions...
Is it necessary?
Is the original repairable?
Are they available anywhere as a replacement part?

Thanks everyone!

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

Gary,

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Fresh-water-Systems

It shows the check valve.

You can buy 1/2" check valves from WM, look in their catalog in print or online.  You could also buy a 3/4" check valve and use reducers for the 1/2" plumbing lines.

This link has pictures of the old and new ones, page 1 AND page 2 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4114.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary

Thank you Stu.....and there is this at Hamilton's <http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/check-valve-f-1-2-hose-120372-/4,24809.html>.
It indicates the purpose is to prevent hot water from backing up under pressure in to the cold water system. Sounds like the right part/right purpose.

Calling it a check valve makes the difference in the search..Mystery explained.

Thank you again Stu.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ron Hill

Gary : I ran into the same check valve problem yesterday.  I was surprised to find that West Marine does not have the small "one way" check valves in their 2012 catalog anymore!!  The WM store still might have some in stock? 

If not look in the Defender catalog and they still stock the Shurflo check valves on page 102.

Hope this helps.    
Ron, Apache #788

Gary

Thanks Ron!  The Shurflo check valve in the Defender Catalogue with 1/2" barbs @ 14.99 is a much better deal than what I saw in the Hamilton's catalogue. These check valves are also apparently available for RV's and a Google search turns up quite a few comparable sources with low shipping costs.....

Perfect solution!!  Thanks.....problem solved.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

tommyt

Gary, it does not take much water in freezing temps to crack that plastic valve. I take mine off every fall and blow it out and have still replaced it twice.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Gary

Tom,

Very good thought. Even when using the slush type anti-freeze I have lost plastic parts to expansion. I now take off any plastic covers after winterizing the water system. We will have 0 degree nights in the coldest part of winter in Maine.

In my case the gasket between the clam shells had a pin hole squirt of water hitting the back of the thin galley drawer with water accumulating on top of the hot water heater. After taking out the check valve I can see how dry and cracked the rubber gasket had become...have a new shur-flo on the way for 14.99.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME