Topping Lift Cable Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

I was putting my shrouds, spreaders and topping lift back on my mast today, and noticed a couple of barbs (individual wire breaks) on my topping lift cable.  Looks ok otherwise, but I assume it's time to replace it if I can get one quickly.  I have the tall rig, and the spec calls for: 38' - 3/32"  7x19 cable.  Is the posted length in the manual for the cable only, or does it include the line and block as well.  Can I order just the cable?  The rest seems fine.  Should I go to a heavier cable, like 1/8"?  Any suggestions on where to get one in a hurry at a reasonable price?  Scheduled to launch in less than 2 weeks.  Would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : As a thought, after I installed a Ridged Boom Van (Garhauer) - I took off the toping lift.  All it did then was interfere with th roach of the mainsail.

There have been some posts about retaining the topping lift with a rigid van for necessary support ??  Guess I truthfully have NEVER understood that statement, as the vang holds the boom to the point "THAT YOU ADJUSTED IT AT" !!   

Anyway it's a thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

I agree with Ron. I attached my main halyard to the back of the boom when the main was doused for support.

Craig

waterdog

Whatever you do, don't ignore it.   We had a plastic coated cable that was rotten inside.   Snugging up the sheet on the way to the dock, the boom came crashing down on the dodger.   Could have just as easily been somebody's skull.   Go with a bare wire for replacement if you go that route.  We replaced it with the rigid vang as Ron others have done.

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat