Loose screws in instrument panel

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

About half of the screws in the instrument panel and cover are loose and don't grip well.  What's the best solution?  I can't find it in the knowledge base.  When I put in "loose screws" for the search criteria I get the membership list. :)
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mark, I'm back in the electrical panel so often that I only put three of the six screws back in.

In answer to your question, you have a few options:

---  use small toothpicks and stick them in the holes, then screw in

---  try some plastic wood in the holes

Larger screws may not fit in the holes, but longer ones would.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

The tooth pick trick works great! If the holes go all the way through the wood the toothpicks are sometimes pushed out.  If that is the case put a spot of caulking in the hole first to hold the pieces in place.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ralph Masters

Mark,
That was funny, membership list indeed.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Mark : I've done the toothpick fill like Ken and Stu, but found that some 5 minute epoxy on the toothpick does wonders.  I've also carefully epoxy ed a nut on the inside and then used a bolt instead of a screw. 
Also us a finishing washer to make it look better!

You can also try larger diameter screws and always use a hand screw driver to tighten them. 
I believe - The factory used a screw driver bit in a drill.  That's why the holes got enlarged.   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

horsemel

Thanks guys.  I will give the toothpicks a try.  I do that in my wood shop, but thought perhaps with fiberglass that it might be different.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

mel low

I pushed in plastic Sheetrock anchors and screwed the same screws back in. This has also worked on cabinet screws that the fiberglass has stripped out.