Radar wiring question

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Holmes

Looking for some assistance.  I have purchased a radar for installation on my 1988 Mk1.  The thing that has me a bit puzzled is the best way to run cabling from the display.  I intend to put the display on the binnacle guard, but cannot figure out the best way to run the thick stiff cable down through the cockpit floor.  I do not believe it will fit in the 1" guard tubing, and I don't believe it would be able to bend that sharply anyways. (ie in through a hole and then turn 90 degrees)  Similar issues for entering the pedestal- or perhaps I am not seeing something.  Any options/advice/photos/opinions are welcome.  In my part of the world most people still have their covers on, and this makes it harder to nose around the yard.  Thanks in advance.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

tonywright

It fits, but not with the connectors on (assuming this is a Raytheon 2k or similar?). On my MKII it was "factory" installed, with a hole drilled through the tubing: needs to be fairly large and somewhat oval shaped. It runs down through the tubing and through the cockpit floor. I remove the combined GPS/radar display every winter, and reinstall every spring. Just did it this weekend, so recall exactly what it looks like.

Where will you install the radar transceiver unit? If on the mast, you have to decide how to cut and join the cable to allow the mast to be removed. This is the hard part. I decided to remove the unit and do without a radar signal: too much trouble to disconnect/ reconnect every season, made it more complicated to lift and store the mast and I don't need the unit where I sail. If I reinstall, I would use a stern mount with a single run of cable to keep it permanently installed: the connections are too delicate.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

n624ma

Joe,  
I have a Raymarine 4Kw dome and a C 80 chartplotter mounted on a 1" angle pedestal guard with the big white wire in the guard (along with the speed, depth, wind, autopilot, compass sensor, power and the Nema and Seatalk data cables that go to the nav station. Yes. both down tubes are full) . The white cable is cut and goes to a "euro" style terminal strip housed in a Radio Shack plastic project box below deck. I cut the cable for  ease of annual removal/re-installation for the winter with out needing to get at the dome.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend so you can see how I did it.
Joseph Rheubeck

Joe Holmes

Tony- I am putting the dome on a stern-mounted tower.  I take my mast out every winter- wanted to avoid that whole mess.  Oval hole makes sense for cable entry. 

Joseph- Look forward to seeing your photos- maybe I am just a bit pessimistic about the tubing.  Should actually make some measurements too!

Appreciate your rapid feedback.  Just love surfing this site.
Joe Holmes
Rothesay NB Canada

scotty

What unit did you buy?  What kind of price are they going for (if I may ask)?  I'm interested in adding radar.  Thanks.
Scotty

Ken Juul

There is plenty of room in the pedestal if you choose to go that route.  Again an oval hole helps the cable run smoothly.  It took some grinding at the base, underneath in the aft cabin to make an existing hole big enough to get the connector though.  I did not have to remove any of the connectors doing it this way.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Holmes

Scotty- I bought a Raymarine system- 18 inch dome with a C80 display.  Raymarine has stopped making the C80 and the Eastern Canadian distributor was letting them go reasonably cheaply.  I picked it up in October- as I recall the system was under $2000 before taxes, for dome, cable, and display.  Factor in extra for a mast bracket (~$300) or a tower (variable- you can get one built locally or purchase)

Ken- can you tell me where you went into the pedestal- in the flared out section below the compass, or further down?  I have the aft cabin opened up and there is a hole large enough already in my backing plate for the pedestal.

Thanks
Joe Holmes
Rothesay NB Canada

Ken Juul

I exit the front of the pedestal about 2/3 up the straight part of the tube.  I installed the Chart Plotter, attached the radar cable and put the hole where I had the smoothest/cleanest wire run.  Added a rubber grommet from Ace to smooth the edges.  If you are going up the mast you will probably need an extension for the radar cable.  I did not want to splice and use a terminal block, so I have probably 15' of excess radar cord coiled under the aft berth.  I also thought the OEM connectors were probably more water/moisture proof than a plastic box.

Making the hole in the pedestal is easy, soft aluminium.  The bottom plate was much harder.  You are lucky!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

n624ma

Joe.
Here are the pic's.

The radar cable comes from a stern pole (which is now lying on the coach roof, which is why the splice box is is pulled so far aft) and up the stbd guard tube along with the wind cable, the rudder sensor cable will go there soon. it comes out inside the Navpod  and then out the bottom of the Navpod and up to the C-80. The exposed cables to the C-80 are normally in a piece of split loom attached to the guard.

The port guard is pretty full, but as I mentioned it has the speed, depth, power, Nmea 183, Seatalk and compass cables.

The thinwall tube that you can see is 3/4 OD sealed to the deck and extending about 4 inches up inside the guard to keep water out.

Hope this helps.
Joseph Rheubeck

Joe Holmes

Thank you Joe.  Appreciate the effort to take and send these. 

Joe
Joe Holmes
Rothesay NB Canada