Looking for a good diesel mechanic

Previous topic - Next topic

frisco12

Hi there,

This is my first post of any kind so if I make a procedural mistake please forgive me. I joined this association upon having my offer for a C34 in Santa Cruz accepted. Unfortunately, the owner, a live aboard, could not afford to move so I agreed to cancel the contract. I was disappointed but I have now bought a C36, since I could not find another C34 in the Bay Area. I really did not want to go to Southern California to buy one. I am berthed at the Oakland Yacht Club and look forward to seeing all the Catalina's on the bay. I am writing in this forum since I feel at home here as I have learned so much from the excellent website.

Can you guys recommend a good and reasonably priced mechanic here in Alameda or Oakland. I had an engine survey done by a local mechanic and was satisfied but now that I want to hire him to do the work I find that he is very informal, does not give a written estimate, says he will start "early next week" and does not give a completion date. He also asks that I leave a $1,000 check for him on the boat when he starts the job.

Is this normal in the sailing world? The mechanic has an excellent reputation and my gut tells me I will be happy in the end but his informality bothers me.

Your advice and comments are greatly appreciated.

Henry 925-922-2305

Paulus

No! No!  Unless you never want your money back or the work done properly. 
Cool Change 1989 #944

Footloose

What is he doing for 1 K?  That is a lot of labor or expensive parts.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jim Hardesty

Henry,
Engine surveys that I have seen have included an approximate cost of repair.  Since this mechanic has spent a few hours with your engine, or should have to do the survey, he and you (by the survey) should have a plan as to what needs to be done.  Before I put this mechanic on a retainer (like a lawyer) I would at least get a second opinion.  I do my own work so I'm no expert on cost, but $1000 seems a lot to do small work and only a start for major work.
Perhaps if you list what needs to be done, others here may volunteer what it cost them.
Best of Luck
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Henry,

Welcome.

In answer to your question, read this, Carl's in Oakland:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rebuilding_the_M25-XP

Good luck,

Stu  
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Henry : I'd be interested to see what that surveyor/mechanic found. Also I'd be a little suspicious as to the work needed until I used the boat.

Once again it's worth many $$ to accompany a surveyor while the survey is being done.  A little diesel knowledge also helps.

I'd get another C34/C36 owner you know is knowledgable and trust, to look at your survey and your engine for a second openion.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Hi Henry and welcome,
Is it possible you can get some referrals from the mechanic of some people he has done work for. How did you find him in the first place? You mentioned he has a good reputation, was he referred by a friend or fellow boater?

In any case, if you develop a warm and fuzzy opinion about him and decide to use him I would definitely make it a point to be on the boat with him while he's doing the work with the understanding that payment will be made when the work is done and no $1000.00 up front.

Good luck, I'm sure things will work out for you.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net