Bottom Job

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

Putting Ciao Bella in the yards Friday for a haulout and bottom job.  Also having the exhaust hose replaced (a survey item) and all sewage hose from the toilet to the tank, and from the tank to the deck suction, tank vent and macerator hose.  The hose that is there now is a combination of white and black, for instance from the toilet to the vaccuum breaker is white, from there to the Y valve is black, from Y valve to tank white again.  The current tank vent is clear fiber reinforced hose that looks like water hose.  From tank to deck suck out is black hose.
Also having the stuffing box repacked using GFO packing, and having the anchor locker drain through hull replaced and rebedded.
Going with Shelter Island Boat Yard here in San Diego because they had the best estimate for most of the work.  One other estimate I had gotten estimated 3 man hours to repack the stuffing box.  And yet another yard estimated 7 MHs to replace the through hull under the V-berth.  I know of one other 34 that had issues with the paint job.  But it was corrected by the yard.

More to follow,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ralph, was one of your estimates from Driscols? I had some work  done at their other yard in Mission Bay and they were OK.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ralph Masters

I had estimates from Knight and Carver and the Southbay Boat Yard.  Both very high, both only wanted to do one coat of paint on the bottom.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

Ralph,
For your reference Marina Shipyard in Long Beach quotes $1,200 for two coats of bottom paint with a free haul out and no yard charges while they are working on your boat. This is their Jan/Feb yearly special.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Kevin Henderson

Ralph,

You will do fine with SIB.  Wayne is the yard manager there and he can sometimes be a handful to deal with.  I know I had some issues but in the end they made everything right. 
Hopefully we will have some dry weather while your out.  I managed to take the opportunity to give Pau Hana 2 coats of wax all around.  They do let you work on your boat over the weekend and when they are closed... something I think a lot of yards don't let you get away with. 
Also... Plan on giving the boat a good solid washdown afterwards.  Although, they have someone thats supposed to clean the boat before returning to the owner... they don't do a very good job and it seemed I picked up a lot of dust from sanding of other boats. :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

efhughes3

I think you'll do fine with them. I've been using them for 20 years now, and they are pros.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Jack Hutteball

3 man hours to repack the stuffing box?????  I did mine myself while I did bottom paint last spring.  First time in 9 years.  I spent less than an hour on it.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jim Hardesty

3 hours does sound high.  But then, a proper job should include an adjustment with the boat in the water and the shaft turning.  Not just changing the packing.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ralph Masters

Les,
The price here is 1190 for the bottom job, and since I'm having additional work doen theres no lay day charge.  I'm looking at splashing the boat next Thursday, maybe Wednesday.

Kevin,
I think they have learned a bit about painting, they said it'll get a wet sanding so that incompatiblility will not be an issue since I have no idea what paint is on it now.  that information will go in my log book so I have the record for next time.

And the admiral is already fretting about how dirty the boat will be when we get it back.  We have removed all the cushions so that is one plus in our favor.  They needed access to the under the v-berth, the sewage tank and the stuffing box, so instead of them moving cushions at our expense we took them out.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : I believe that the man hours for the tasks are a bit high.

I've changed packing in the water and it took less than 10 minutes!!

The only thru hull that you should have in the Vberth is the anchor well drain. 
Not too sure why you want to change it?, but it should surly be only 1 hour 2 at the most.  To take the old one off should only take 5 - 10 minutes - most of that time is loosening the hose clamp and removing the hose.  It will take a second person to hold the new fitting from the outside so it can't turn while the person inside threads on and tightens the nut.  Then reconnect the hose and the hose clamp.
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Ron,
You are right on my way of thinking on these items.  Estimate way to high.
The anchor locker through hull drips water into the boat when on a port tack heeled over and the water is splashing up on it.  It was a survey item 18 months ago and I figured as long as I was having work done let them re-bed it for me.  Might end up doing that myself. 
In fact the exhaust hose is also a survey item.  As was the sewer hose.  So before the insurance is due and they ask me again if I've corrected all those items I'll get it done.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

I agree with Ron. Why do you need a new anchor locker drain through-hull fitting. Is the old one cracked? Why not simply remove the current one if it is leaking, clean it, re-bed it and re-install it. You can do this whole job in the slip since this through-hull is above the water line. Save yourself the "expensive" yard labor for another "must-do"  project.

The packing gland should only take about a half hour, unless it's frozen from years of not being lubricated. When I bought boat, my packing gland was leaking and because it wasen't kept lubricated, it was pretty frozen and most of the time that was needed was used to try to free it up. But it still took less than an hour to lubricate, and work the nuts loose. That whole job should not take more than an hour.  :D

Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

efhughes3

The anchor thru hull is probably cracked, mine was. So was the rear fitting for the bilge pump. After 24 years, not surprising.
Ed Hughes
SDYC

Ralph Masters

I have the old fashioned flax packing and I spray it with simple green and wire brush it off good and adjust that thing about every other month.  When all finished I wipe it dry and apply a light spray of WD40 and it's good for another two months.  No green stuff on my bright work.  The biggest part of the time to adjust it is to move the clothing storage bins, the micro wave and the mattress to get to it, then put it all back when done.  the actual adjusting is about 5 - 7 minutes.  Tap the lock nut with a nail set and hammer to back it off, adjust, tap the lock nut back on.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

efhughes3

Do you just go to snug, once you've backed off the locknut?
Ed Hughes
SDYC