Springtime haulout time

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

So it's that time of year again, we all need to do our part for the economy and help to keep the yards in business. We had arranged a 10:30 time slot to have our boat hauled on Friday (to coincide with high tide).  All was going well, new impeller in the water pump, stuffing box checked, check engine fluids and belt. So I turn the key hold down the glow plug button and then crank, engine cranks for 10 seconds and then nothing, no volts to the engine panel. I'm sort of at a loss to explain this, upon further inspection the ground strap is just fine, volts are being provided to the panel below but here is nothing at the starter motor. A good set of jumper cables and all is forgiven. So the cable from the 3 way switch to the starter motor went bad. This whole fiasco took about an hour or more to get figured out so we are now backing out of the slip with a prop that must have a thousand barnacles on it, I can't believe how we are drifting and unable to motor until some of the growth lets go.  Anyway we missed out on getting hauled out on the high tide but on the plus side we broke down at the dock where it was possible to figure out what was wrong rather than out on the water.

Later in the day I pulled out the cable and it was bad. There must have been a nick in the cover of the cable and it had corroded all the way through. Of course the spot that was bad was under the floor where you can't inspect it. I suspect this has been bad from day one. The engine cranked so much faster with jumper cables than it ever did before...

On another note the Micron CSC I've had on the bottom has been a disappointment and I'm going to try Pettit Horizons which the guy at the yard says he has been pleased with. Does anyone on the Chesapeake have any opinion on this?

It is springtime here in Virginia and after several months of thinking about sailing we get to go sailing again. I couldn't be hapier.

Mark Tamblyn

Ken Juul

I put 2 gallons of Horizon on every other year.  Can't compare it to anything else, but works for me.  Only place I see too much wear is at the water line where the air conditioner drain exits. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Mark : Don't know what to tell you on paint?

I use the Interlux with "Ingeral" and it does a "so-so" job for the slime - no barnacles. So watch the sales on line and you can pick it up for about $120/gal (shipping included!!)
Ron, Apache #788