Dockside water hookup

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

Hey all:
I want to put a dockside connection on my boat.  I've had dockside connections on my last 3 boats spanning 23 years without problems.  But, I do recognize the hazard, I believe I read once that more boats sink at the dock that anywhere else.  Not sure if that's true but one must be careful.

Now, after all the good reasons listed as to why not, why do want to?

Our club has a well and about 10 years ago they finally came through with city water/sewer out by us.  We kept the well  for our docks and have city water for the clubhouse and water at our gas dock.  We've noticed that well water (the only water available at the docks) seems to sour slightly after being kept in the boats tanks out of the ground.  City water, treated, seems to stay better in the tanks.  I sanitize my tanks each spring.

I do like the suggestion by Susan about the sprinkler meter.  I've used them at home.  We bring the water to the end of our dock and use a very short hose to the boat.  I've also developed the habit of ALWAYS shutting off the valve when I leave the boat, even if it is to leave the club grounds to go out to eat while staying on the boat.

Just my 2ยข

Steve

visit us at: www.ocontoyachtclub.com

Bobg

Due to the constructive critisim on this board for the dock side water attachment on my boat.  I quit using it. Sure seemed like a good idea at the time while I was blissfully ignorant though, but my friends on this board have convinced me.. Thanks guys
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ted Pounds

Seems to me that if you shut off the water anytime you leave the boat (just like you should close all your seacocks) then you should be OK.  Just my $.02...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

gwp

thats ironic....this is my next project. My reason is to get colder air from ac when at dockside. Much rather cool 72 degree water than 85. But wouldnt leave pressure on while away

chuck53

Quote from: stevewitt1 on February 03, 2014, 06:59:39 PM

I believe I read once that more boats sink at the dock that anywhere else.  

I'm sure it is true since the vast majority of boats spend anywhere from 70 to 100% of their time tied to a dock, most likely, that is where they will sink.

Stu Jackson

Just another input from a poster named "Magellanyacht" on cruisersforum

I just experienced an awful situation. I am restoring a Bruce Roberts Mauritius steel 44 pilot house. It has a dockside hook-up for pressurized water. Love it. Don't have to listen to water pump when at dock plus keeps tanks full. When I leave the boat I always (except once) close the valve on the boat side and also the valve on the water side. I've have used it for almost 2 years without a drip. I have two auto bilge pumps capable of 2000 GPH.
Three weeks ago I reached the top of the dock and realized I hadn't closed the valve. I was tired and figured it was OK since I had left it on 12 hours a day for a long time without a problem. Next morning the the water was 2 ft over the floorboards submerging half the engine. The inner hose had slipped off. Lucky I have V-Drive so engine is high but feared for my Lehman 2711e. Also was working on bilge pump so only one was working.
Two weeks later, after pulling everything off the boat including all cabinet and locker liners and using multiple heaters and blowers I am finally getting on top of it. Also ran gallons of oil through the engine and changed 6 filters twice. Engine seems fine now. I got lucky.
Stupid? Absolutely. I have run boats for over 50 years in the Caribe, Med, Northwest & Alaska.
Everyone has their opinion but, the bottom line is, that one mistake can sink a boat.

Don't say we didn't warn ya.   :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : Nice post!!

Guys : If you have ever done any long range cruising, you learn that you can't "save" water.  In other words you need to use the water in a particular tank and then refill it with "fresh" water.

So why keep using dock water and let the water in at least one tank go "stale".  Much better to to change tanks and refill - even at the dock!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

JTSO
Hundreds of thousands of yachts have been produced with pressure water hookups (mostly power).  With all those still on the water that are poised to sink (that haven't already,) we shouldn't be worried about global warming and ocean rise.  We'll be inundated.

Seriously?  Gasoline and boats don't mix. Boats burn and tanks explode. Ban internal combustion engines on the water.

You can't fix stupid and when their's sinks, that's one less stupid on the water for the remainder of us.
There's safety systems and procedures and common sense solutions without yelling the sky's gonna fall.

Hit something and compromise the hull, and a bilge pump isn't gonna keep up. Solution? Stay at the dock.

JTSO
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

(mostly power)

Kinda answers the other part:  You can't fix stupid

:D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

gwp

Quotethats ironic....this is my next project. My reason is to get colder air from ac when at dockside. Much rather cool 72 degree water than 85. But wouldnt leave pressure on while away

I know I'm not the coldest can in the six-pack, but not the warmest either but you lost me with this statement.  How would dockside water play into your a/c?  Were your intentions to run dockside water through your A/C condenser exchanger?  That would give you a lower head pressure on your compressor and my make your A/C a little more efficient but I think your Marina would not be interested in a constant potable water use for simple thermal exchange.  If I'm reading you right.

Steve

visit us at: www.ocontoyachtclub.com  www.warbirdsix.com