Dockside water hookup

Previous topic - Next topic

tom475

I am a new owner of a c34 and would like to add a domestic water hookup from the dockside water. Does anyone have experience in making this conversion? 

Ken Juul

I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything.  Maybe someone else can.  I seem to remember a discussion, but can't find it.

From the C36 forum, may be helpful.

http://www.c36ia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198&highlight=dock+water
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Fresh-water-Systems

The advice in the C36 link is well taken.  NEVER leave the pressurized water on if you leave the boat, even just to go up to shore to pick something up from your car.  Like: NEVER.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

If you spring a leak and run all the water in both tanks into the bilge, no problem, the water weight was already in the boat.  If you spring a leak from shore water hook up you can sink the boat, you would be surprised how fast water will fill a space.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

You figure a standard 5/8 inch hose can deliver 17 gallons a minute and a rule 500 pump can suck out 8 gallons per minute.............................

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Quote from: tom475 on January 25, 2012, 07:40:48 AM
I am a new owner of a c34 and would like to add a domestic water hookup from the dockside water. Does anyone have experience in making this conversion? 

Tom, one thing I forgot to ask:  Why are you considering this?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Tom : Stu hit the nail on the head - is a pressure fresh water hook up really necessary ??, because it' can be dangerous !!

With about 78 gallons on board, you aught to get thru a couple of days before you have to refill the tanks!!  
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

I'd like to echo all the previous remarks. We live aboard and that includes regular (Daily) showers for two, drinking, dish washing etc..... we fill tanks every 4 days. If we're out on the hook in the summer, usually can push that out to a week with less showering. We had a power boat sink here due to shore pressure system.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Terry Forshier

1 drop of water per second from a dripping hose equals 2,642 gallons a year. check your washers and fittings.

mainesail

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 25, 2012, 08:54:23 AM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Fresh-water-Systems

The advice in the C36 link is well taken.  NEVER leave the pressurized water on if you leave the boat, even just to go up to shore to pick something up from your car.  Like: NEVER.

Here's better advice. NEVER CONNECT PRESSURIZED WATER TO YOUR BOAT!!! :D There is NO need. Fill the tanks and pump from them.

I still remember the screaming at 3:30 am when a guy two slips over at Wentworth Marina in New Castle NH woke up to knee deep water and his wife was hysterical. Internal plumbing failed, it is NOT designed for "street" pressure, and began to fill the boat. This boat even had a PRV (pressure reducing valve). The Rule bilge pump could not keep up, they usually won't, the fuse eventually blew and they were sinking and did not even know it. Luckily he got up to pee.... Boat sustained thousands of dollars in damage because they were simply too lazy to fill the tanks occasionally.

This is NOT and uncommon occurrence. Some marinas now specifically prohibit the physical connection of a boat to street water.

Quote from: SD Diver on January 25, 2012, 03:32:27 PM
You figure a standard 5/8 inch hose can deliver 17 gallons a minute and a rule 500 pump can suck out 8 gallons per minute.............................

Ralph

That's with NO head pressure or hose restrictions, perfect voltage and on a perfect day. These pumps rarely get anywhere even remotely close to the grossly misleading marketing capacity emblazoned on the pump body..

Most installed centrifugal pumps can BARELY pump 50% of their rated capacity after being installed in the average sailboat. Deep keel sumps are even worse than a Catalina 34. A 500GPH pump will do about 3-4 GPM, if you're lucky, and used smooth walled hose with minimal bends and restrictions. The garden hose at street pressure is no match for most bilge pumps...

I once had a customer install a Rule 2000 because he thought his diaphragm pump at 8GPM was too small. He was adamant that his new Rule would pump more. To test we simply dumped two 5 gallon buckets of water into his bilge. His PAR/Jabsco pump kicked the butt of the new Rule 2000. The Rule, at face value, claimed 33 GPM and was doing less than 5GPM, installed, due to static losses while the diaphragm pump was pumping damn close to it's rating.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

tom475

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Bobg

My Catalina 34 1988 has a garden hose hook-up next to the shore power recepticle, now was that stock?, or did someone put that in, I gotta tell ya we use it alot, we crack the faucet on the dock and after 5 years we never had any issue, of course we always shut it off when we are away, but not just to go to the car for something.
All of the warnings here are certainly of merit but I inspect and trust my system enough to use it during the day, off at night of course. Sometimes we are at dock for days and I like it that we have the capability to hook up  shore water versus running the onboard pump and filling the tanks.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Dave Spencer

By the way Tom, congratulations on your new C34 and welcome to the forum.  :thumb: As you can tell from the responses to your very first posting, you will find tons of informed advice here.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

efhughes3

I can't believe that was stock, and not added by a previous owner. As noted above, it doesn't take long for a catastrophe to be well underway. With the number of connections in the pressurized water system, you have a lot of potential failure points. I'd say you've had 5 years of good luck.

I lived aboard for about 4 years back in the late 90's....never begrudged having to fill my tanks every few or several days.

Quote from: Bobg on January 26, 2012, 04:24:34 PM
My Catalina 34 1988 has a garden hose hook-up next to the shore power recepticle, now was that stock?, or did someone put that in, I gotta tell ya we use it alot, we crack the faucet on the dock and after 5 years we never had any issue, of course we always shut it off when we are away, but not just to go to the car for something.
All of the warnings here are certainly of merit but I inspect and trust my system enough to use it during the day, off at night of course. Sometimes we are at dock for days and I like it that we have the capability to hook up  shore water versus running the onboard pump and filling the tanks.

Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Susan Ray

You can get a manual sprinkler timer at any sprinkler shop that will shut off after so many gallons (50-300) or so many minuets (30-300)for about $12.00..install it at the faucet....just change it every 6 months as they can collect grunge from the water...
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii