new impeller pump

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

the new Oberdorfer has arrived. A very simple question: whats the best way to remove the old hoses and reconnect?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff, after you take off the hose clamps and remove the hose from the barbs on the old pump, you may find you need new barbs.  IIRC, the Oberdorfer outlets are in different places than the Sherwoods.  I have a 90 degree pump-outlet-to-barb fitting on the upper left facing the engine.  It's probably a 90 degree fitting off the pump with a barb screwed into it for the hose to go to the HX.  Lots depends on what you have there now, and what position your hoses are in.  And what condition, too.  Great time to replace the two hoses.

I recommend you slather Lanocote on the new barbs before you push the hoses on.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Cliff : Out of curiosity, what did that new Oberdoffer set you back $ ? 
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

This will be an interesting reply, I'm waiting with abated breath.  (this is one of my "projects on the bucket list")

Ralph

Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Clay Greene

I just bought a new Oberdorfer - $230 from Marine Parts Source.  It was $30 cheaper than Torresen. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

crieders

208 dollars from Cardinal pump but I had to send it back. The impeller had adhered to the cover and the pump itself like it was "burned" on and it was not greased either. I am waiting for a replacement. Perhaps it was sitting around a hot warehouse for a long time.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Guess my $100 pump offer - looks pretty good now!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Ron,
Checks in the mail.

Thanks

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987