winterizing woes

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

Great difficulty this year winterizing the water systems. After draining both tanks, I added antifreeze to each tank (my preferred method), and then  one tank at a time attempted to run the antifreeze thru the system---Nada -would not pressurize and pump AF through  plumbing. After a ridiculous amount of time troubleshooting, I decided to bypass the bowl -strainer since I was unable to unscrew the plastic bowl to clean the mesh.  To make sure my pump was operational I took the hose fitting off of the "in" fitting on the pump and inserted the hose  into a bottle of antifreeze. Voila-the pump is ok and I was able to winterize all lines and plumbing downstream of my pump. I now need to find a way to unscrew the plastic bulb and clean the filter which I am reasonable certain is responsible for the blockage. It hasn't been cleaned since I've owned the boat and it is a sure bet that the PO didn't either. Once I do that Stu had some great suggestions on how to improve the system while providing easier access in the future

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Indian Falls

Ken,

I had a 30' camper that needed winterizing, not much different than my boat.  I learned back then that I did not want that pink stuff in my holding tank.  "My camper my choice"  right? 
I just do exactly what you did except I only put the non toxic AF in the pump, not the whole system.  If a hose had a bit of water and it froze... so what?  It's the fixtures, pumps and hard items in the system that need freeze protection.  I run my tank dry, I let the system pressurize with air then open one faucet knob at a time until no water runs.  Then just a gulp of AF into the pump and that's it.  The hot water tank is drained and the valve left open.  The engine is a different matter but that's all over the forum so I won't pipe up there, no pun intended.  I still like the Vodka method but I can't bring my self to use it for antifreeze!  Was that Ron or Stu that uses vodka??
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Dan, winterizing?  Heck, wazzat?  Ken's hooked me into helping him with that messy stuff that comes with temperatures below freezing and the white stuff on the ground.  Yikes!  Anyway, my idea was to simply butt the two ends together once he got the filter off the boat, and worry about it in the springtime.  No, worry about it all winter.  No, don't worry at all, but plan to either reuse the filter and put it in a more accessible place, or get an in-line filter, maybe run new hoses for better access.  Always easy for me to suggest more work for someone else on their boat!  st to even things out, my own "To Do" work list is growing... :cry4` Now I gotta go look at my filter... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : Hard to believe that you have never previously cleaned that strainer. 
You need to unscrew that strainer using a strap wrench - if necessary.

The fresh water strainer is not in the best location, but it's an item that you only need to unscrew once a year!!
If it were something you needed to check on a weekly or monthly basis - I'd be the first one to recommend moving it!

My filter became clogged during 1989 so I unscrewed the bowl and found a hand full of plastic shavings in the inside.  It was junk from the fitting holes drilled in the water tanks. Cleaned it out and never had a pron;em since 1989!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

TonyP

Ken and others
I feel lucky this is one chore we here in Sydney do not have to go through.
Lucky for us we have a 12 month sailing calendar though chilly for 4 of them....
OK so I have to give up skiing ... I am loving the maintenance bit and small jobs

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Ken Heyman

Thanks all for the advice and comments.

Ron, not cleaning the filter was not an "out of site--out of mind issue"  It was really driven by occasional feeble attempts to get at and service the filter, not being able to -and thus putting it off to another time. We don't use our tanks for drinking water but only for dishes, showering etc so I wasn't as diligent as I otherwise could be. BTW, I did try a strap wrench but couldn't quite get the right purchase on it thru the galley access. I may try heating the plastic with a hair dryer.

Thanks again,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Roc

Ken,
Is your filter attached directly to the input port on your water pump?  Mine was like that and what I did is rerouted the filter to a more easier location to service.  Just attach a hose to the input end and bring it closer to the galley cabinet doors and put an in-line filter there.  Much easier to see and clean.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Heyman

---a good idea and consistent with the discussions that I had with Stu.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ralph Masters

I saw the project that moved the water tank valves into the bilge by adding and rerouting the the hose.  I'm looking at doing that and take the filter there as well so it's all accessible.  That's one one of many "to do" list items. 
Right now I need to add a little AF to the AB seaman and get him winterized.  Maybe a jigger to the admiral too..............

Ralph
Ciao Bella 
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ken and Guys : The purpose of the strainer is to keep junk and debris from screwing up the pump diaphragm.

Doesn't make any difference if you drink the water, wash dishes with it or use it for flushing the head.  It needs to be checked at least one a year whether you winterize or not.

Ken you might be able to get at the screw on bowl from the salon side as it's just on the other side of the aft starboard water tank divider (that hold the tank in place. 
If not unscrew it from the bulkhead, cut/remove the water lines and get it out so you can unscrew the bowl.  You just might find that there is no rubber flat gasket and that's why the PO/s screwed it on so tight!!

Anyway check it once a year.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Ron,

I already did part of what you suggested ---"If not unscrew it from the bulkhead, ----". I had to do this to easily get at the hose that I removed. I'm going to try to remove the filter today-clean it and then decide on a better and more convenient system. Regarding screwing up the pump diaphragm--the strainer evidently did its job as the pump is fine---evidently quite robust.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : I looked up some old data that I put in a Mainsheet Tech note article many many moons ago.

That strainer and the same one on the engine raw water intake are made by HYPRO and is a series 3350 - 0040
The clear bowl is #3351-0015; gasket is #1700-0044: the fine screen for the fresh water is #3800-0029 and the courser screen for the raw engine water is 3800-0025.

In case you need some parts the tel # I have is in Richmond Va (804)233-4396.     A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ron, I did remove the assembly successfully today. I now have all winter to stare at it and think about my options. Unfortunately earlier today you planted another image in my mind that I can't seem to shake. It was the one that dealt with the various methods of drying lines.

Seriously though--thanks much for the assist.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

scotty

Drying lines?  Must be where the expression, "That guy stepped on his deck" came from.    :shock:
Scotty

Ken Heyman

perfect-- and yet another image---

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il