Coast Guard documentation

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I'm thinking about having Shamrock documented with the Coast Guard.  Would like to do it myself.  I want to know how much trouble to expect before starting, government paper work can be such a hassle.  Shamrock is registered in PA and I know all the previous owners.  Also I'm in no rush, thought this might be a winter project.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Indian Falls

Hey Jim,

What kind of documentation do you mean?  I had an auxiliary coast guard rep stop by our marina and he was looking for volunteers to get their boat checked out.  I declined because my sanitary system was all ripped apart, but he left me with the check list of items they inspect.
This inspection would have left me with a sticker that would thwart on the water boarding during spot checks.  Not sure you can do this yourself except get your boat in compliance with the checklist if that's what you're talking about.  It was primarily about safety and compliance with regulations ie: over board discharge, oil discharge placards, garbage discharge placards etc...
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ron Hill

Jim : If you can get a clear bill of sale from each of the previous owners, I don't think it's too much of a hassel.

In stead of asking the question to this form, why don't you contact the National Vessel Documentation Center?
They are a phone call away in the "deep water port" of Falling Waters, West Virginia   (800)799-8362

Go to the "horses mouth" on this one.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Quote from: Indian Falls on November 06, 2011, 02:08:13 PM
Hey Jim,

What kind of documentation do you mean?  I had an auxiliary coast guard rep stop by our marina and he was looking for volunteers to get their boat checked out.  I declined because my sanitary system was all ripped apart, but he left me with the check list of items they inspect.
This inspection would have left me with a sticker that would thwart on the water boarding during spot checks.  Not sure you can do this yourself except get your boat in compliance with the checklist if that's what you're talking about.  It was primarily about safety and compliance with regulations ie: over board discharge, oil discharge placards, garbage discharge placards etc...

Coast Guard documentation is registering the boat with the CG.  It has nothing to do with a CG (or Power Squadron) courtesy inspection, which is always a good idea.

if you have the sales agreement, go to the CG Documentation web site, download the form, spend 5 minutes to fill it out and mail in with a $95 check.  Might take a month or two to get your Documentation.
Make sure your boat has name and hailing port properly placed on the boat.
When you get your documentation, immediately remove state registration numbers from the bow and put your document number somewhere in the interior of the boat, usually in the bilge.  Follow their rules as to how to place the numbers.

Albreen

As chuck53 replied, the documentation process is much easier these days with the on-line information. After the initial fee, the annual renewal is free. Another note - be sure your boat name and home port meets or exceeds the minimal size requirement for lettering. If not and without a state registration visible on the bow, you'll risk being stopped on the water by state boats. Many states also require a "Validation" sticker on the boat from the state in which you reside more than 30 days per year (or other period).
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Paulus

Jim, when I bought my C34, I had it documented.  Paper work was easy.  The only reason I did this was to save paying 6% sales tax.  A loophole in the Michigan law. 
Cool Change 1989 #944

Indian Falls

Thank you sirs!

I'm just wondering, other than saving several thousand dollars in sales tax, what would be the point of this?   (I wish NY had that loophole!)  All my boat docs are still on the boat or I'd dig out that form and see what it is intended to accomplish, I think it's the same thing that the last two posts point out.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Paulus

Jim, I think there are also some advantages if you sail in foreign waters???
Cool Change 1989 #944

chuck53

First of all, some lenders require boat owners have their boats documented.
There are advantages of having your boat documented when traveling internationally.
If a boat is ever stolen, you're better off having the Feds on your side than the state.
THere's also the so called snob factor...a lot of people like not having to have state numbers plastered on the bow.
Some states (like VA where I am) don't require documented boats to be state registered.  So for me, I had my choice of either state registering or getting documented.  I chose documentation, and I also don't like state numbers on my bow.

Fuzzy

What if you don't know the owner before the previous owner?  Is it then  impossible to get CG documentation??
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

chuck53

Quote from: Fuzzy on November 07, 2011, 05:54:36 PM
What if you don't know the owner before the previous owner?  Is it then  impossible to get CG documentation??
Larry

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

Here's the FAQ section of the CG Documentation web site.  I didn't look up your question, but I'm guessing all you need is a bill of sale or maybe even proof that the boat is state registered in your name.
I've had 3 boats documented.  The first was done by a documentation service that charges about $500.  At the time I thought that's the route you had to go.  I didn't know you could do it yourself and how easy it was.
The second two, I did myself, and yes, it is an easy process.

Jim Hardesty

Thanks Chuck,
That's good information.  Nice to know that not all things government are not a hassle.  The reason that I am thinking about the documentation is for future trips, think Caribbean winters.  As far as just sailing the Great Lakes I see no advantage having the documentation.  PA requires the boat be state registered and of course sales tax be paid.  Sailing to Canada and reporting to customs has never been a problem.  Can't say the same for reporting back to the USA, but it is getting better.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Albreen

Jim - this information is from the Discover Boating web site:

What are the advantages of documentation?US Coast Guard documentation provides a history and record of build and ownership for the vessel owner. This history is maintained at the Coast Guard and is provided upon request in the form of an Abstract of Title, reflecting all recorded ownership transfers, mortgage recordings, claims of lien and releases. This allows a boater to sell his boat, and a buyer to buy that boat, and be assured it is free and clear of all recorded liens and encumbrances. When financing a boat, lenders rely on the USCG records of documented vessels to confirm their security interest will be perfected by a First Preferred Ship Mortgage recorded with the Coast Guard.

Boaters cruising in international waters often prefer federal documentation to attain certain protections afforded by the US flag, which include aid from the US consulate when you are in need. Foreign port officials easily recognize federally documented vessels and appreciate that the ownership is supported by a detailed Abstract of Title reflecting all recordings.

Also, it is easy to search this database for vessel information if a boat is documented..........not sure it's entirely a good thing but the information is readily available:
http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Lance Jones

I just spoke with Karen at the main office. Process is straight forward. They are currently working on the August submissions.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

chuck53

Quote from: Lance Jones on November 09, 2011, 02:08:10 PM
I just spoke with Karen at the main office. Process is straight forward. They are currently working on the August submissions.

Wow!  When I bought my boat in May of last year, I got my documentation papers in less than a week.