Fuel sender

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueWind

After reading all the info about fuel gauge issues, I tested the wiring and the sender as instructed and found the sender defective on my '97 MkII.
Took me about 90 minutes altogether to pull and replace (WM had it in stock). First mate very happy to again know how much fuel we have (my engine-hour calculations did not give her confidence). Thanks to all who take the time to post detailed information about everything to help us newbies figure things out. Know that we appreciate it. Be well.

Ron Hill

Carl : Just remember that the C34 has an asymmetrical shaped fuel tank.

This means that when the float in the sender is horizontal and the level of the tank is half way down in inches (and the gage reads 1/2) -- you actually only have about 1/3 of a tank of fuel left!  

The bottom of the tank is that much smaller than the top of the tank!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

BlueWind

Ron, thanks. I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know.

Carl

sail4dale

If that is the case ... how come when my fuel gauge reads 1/3 full, when if refuel I only can put in  9-10 gallons?  I was riding on the "E" on time back, and when I refueled after "puckering" for the last hour of motoring, I could only put in 17 gallons?

I have gotten to the point of believing my engine hours over the gauge.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Ron Hill

Dale : You hit nail on head!!

The funny float switch gages can not be relied on!  The only way to get the most accurate fuel level is to use      engine hours X the gallons per hour. 

Simple to do.   Ron
Ron, Apache #788