Catalina 355 racing results

Previous topic - Next topic

pablosgirl

This past weekend a new C 355 finished 4th overall in the cruising with spinnaker division of the Harvest Moon Regatta,  a 150 mile offshore race in the Gulf of Mexico.  See http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=4374&show_manufacturer=1&show_crew=1

My wife and I were able to get a tour of the boat on the return delivery trip and for a second considered trading in ours.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Roc

Paul,
Yes, the 355 is a nice boat, as well as the new 385.  Saw them both at the Annapolis boat show a couple weekends ago.  However, the costs of these boats seem to have skyrocketed.  Well over $200K for the 355 and the 385 is up to $300K!  To me, it seems like the costs of new boats are out of sync with the cost structure of buying new years ago.  Maybe it's just me, but when I bought my boat, the cost of new boats of the 'production variety' like Catalinas, didn't seem out of grasp.  Production boats were significantly less expensive than say the Tartans, Sabres, etc.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Clay Greene

You're so right.  All boat manufacturers seem to be out of touch with reality, particularly when there are so many good used boats on the market.  Instead of a 385, I could buy a good used C400 with plenty of owner upgrades for $150K. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

pablosgirl

There are many good used boats out there right now and for a good price.  One of the guys on the dock traded his C34 in for a C400 last year.  Every time he walks past my boat he comments on how he wishes that he did not get rid of his boat and how well it sailed.  Instead of buying a new C355 or a used C400 I would take the $150K and go cruising in my C34!
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Roc

A few years back, dock neighbors traded their C320 for a C400.  After a few weeks I asked them how does sail.  With discontent on their faces, they said you need A LOT OF WIND to get the boat going.  Theirs has the furling main with no battens. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Clay Greene

Too true as to the sailing performance.  I've been out with a Catalina Morgan 440 and was surprised that we could keep up with her in 10-12 knots of wind.  Plus, that is not a beautiful boat with that high cabintop, IMHO. 

As to the C400, I do have to say I am envious of the centerline queen berth in the aft cabin, the storage space, the shower stall in the head and the front-opening refrigerator.  As a marina queen, it is a nice boat for the money. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin