Thinking of joining the family - Purchase advice needed

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Brockman

Although Hunter has made a number of good sailing boats, my experience is that most of their boats do not sail well and are a pain in the ass to handle. Don't make your judgement on sailing based on sailing a Hunter.

As a side note, when I was looking to buy my current boat, I used a broker that had previously worked for Catalina for about 20 years.  I was looking for a boat that was 32-36 feet with a number of attributes, including being comfortable down below, having a dedicated chart table, a cockpit where you could lay down and sleep, and a boat that sailed well enough to race in point to point races and be competitive.  After looking at a number of boats that my wife did not care for, we happened to see a Catalina 34 that was in bad shape, but my wife really liked the layout.  I called my broker and told him that we had seen a Catalina we really liked, and before I could tell him which model, he said that he would only recommend the 34 in our size range, or the 42 if we went up in size, as they were the best sailing models Catalina had made.

After owning Squall for three years, it has met all of our expectations and more.  The boat is a pleasure to sail and has been very competitive racing, winning 4 of the seven races we entered this year.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Footloose

The crack at the front of the keel may not be from grounding but from poor blocking of the keel when it was on the hard.  We have some friends that had a crack develop of the winter on their c34 wing keel.  From what they said it was a costly repair.

We love the boat.  I don't have anything to add to what has already been said. 
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

NewToTheRoad

Here is a pic of the keel provided by the seller - hard to tell really from this pic but it sure ain't smooth.  I have yet to see myself as the boat is in water nor have I asked how the pic was obtained.  From what I know, he bought it wholesale from a dealer who took it in trade.
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

tommyt

Not sure where you are in Florida, but I remember that Offshore even does Cruising classes on your own boat from some of their  bases.

Huge difference between the Hunter 23 and the C30,320,and 340. If you friend with the 32 kinows his stuff you will have a very good experience. That is a very good sailing boat as well.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

John Langford

If you think the boat has hit the bottom hard then make sure that you ask the surveyor to carefully examine all the tabbing attaching the grid (under the sole) to the hull. Repairs to the grid can be expensive.

Good luck with your purchase. The C34s are wonderful boats.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stephen Butler

It is difficult to tell much from your photo, but FYI we have seen quite a few Catalinas with "rough" or "wavey" spots on their keels.  Not a major issue if you are not racing.  As so many have commented, get a Catalina experienced surveyor and be there when he does his thing.  Good luck with your decision, but can assure you that a C34 is a wonderful boat to sail and just spend time hanging out on.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

tommyt

Did not see your keel issue earlier. You have gotten good info, ask a surveyor! Unfortunately, I have seen a wing that was grounded and with almost 80% of the wing gone. The boat still was water tight even though it needed a new keel. Bottom line, this is one tough boat! You may just have a bump that needs fairing.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance