Lewmar Ports

Previous topic - Next topic

Exodus

Guys, I have been through several old threads regarding leaking Lewmar ports, but still have questions, so here it goes.

I have the Lewmar size one opening ports in the Salon and v-berth.  A couple of them were leaking and I was getting some water on the nav station.  I replaced ALL the gaskets last week and have previously replaced several of the "dog latches" and seals.

Yesterday we had a really good rainfall and nearly all the hatches are leaking, but appear to be leaking from within the frame.  I am about at my wits end here.  Do I need to pull every hatch and rebed them or is there an easier solution to attempt first, maybe a bead of silicone around the outside trim?

I am sure someone else has experienced this, please help!

Thanks!

Ron Hill

Exodus : I'm sure you don't want to hear my recommendation, but :

You may need to completely remove the hatch.  Take off the inside trim ring and you'll see the screw head bolts that hold the inside piece to the outside oval ring. 
In the past I had one of those ports leaking and was able to stop the leak by tightening those bolts.  Remember to tighten all a bit at a time.  You might get lucky like I did, but it's worth a try on one or two. Then let a hose run on that port to test!    Good Luck

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

What do you mean by "leaking within the frame"?  If you mean that water is collecting in the frame then it may be that you  just need to replace the O-rings on the dogs.  There are a couple of other threads on how to do that.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Roger Blake

I agree with Ron...you need to take them out and rebed.  I did mine last season and not a drop has come in since. A word of warning...learned the hard way...make sure you reinstall them with enough clearance all around to reinstall the trim rings. I didn't and now face the penaly...a do over on some of them. Looks like to me, placing a penny under the bottom of the dogs on the frame will give the clearance needed on the bottom...then center the horizontal axis. It is not difficult to do...just takes some time. Another observation, the holes from the factory appeared to be over cut for my size lewmars...don't know if they did that on all, or a few. If for all, perhaps a "on size hole for all" approach. If it were up to me, the holes would have been much smaller...more closer to the dimensions of the port...thereby reducing the chance of water ingress and the use of less adhesive/silicone.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Exodus

Well, I bit the bullet and rebed two today, hope to do the rest tomorrow.  I also noticed the holes were cut too big by the factory.  I did not think about the trim size, but I may leave that off anyway as mine looks pretty poor and I have curtains.

And I thought I might get some sailing in on my week off   :cry4`

thereefs

Quote from: Exodus on October 10, 2011, 08:12:05 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and rebed two today, hope to do the rest tomorrow.  I also noticed the holes were cut too big by the factory.  I did not think about the trim size, but I may leave that off anyway as mine looks pretty poor and I have curtains.

And I thought I might get some sailing in on my week off   :cry4`
Exodus,had the same problem with my 99MK11,tried all the fixes,new seals, rebedding,small o rings,nothing worked ,at all.Finally ran across"port Visors"@seaworthygoods.com,nary a drop since.They look good,easy install and work!Good customer service as well.Check them out<Cheers,Dave

Stu Jackson

This may help:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2979.0.html

See the last post by Ray Irvine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."