NEW MAIN SAIL

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM BRENER 1987 #504 "WI

I was shopping for a new main sail at the Annapolis Sail Boat Show.  I have a 1987 tall rig. I received prices from $1575.00 for a sail made in South Africa to $2064.00 for the same sail made in their local loft to $2683.00 and I did not shop all the lofts represented. All suggested Dacron 7.46 to 7.62. I also will continue to use the Dutchman system with the new sail.

I received recommendations from 1 to 2 full top battens to 4 full battens.  Of even more interest was the recommendation that the sail be loose footed. Rep claims that a loose foot main will make using the outhaul easier and more efficient.

I asked for 2 reefs. I understand that there is a formula for standard reef placement but is it a good idea to have deeper reefs given a tall rig. It seems that the first reef on a tall rig may be close to the same size as a standard rig with out a reef although I don't know that for a fact.

Knowing this group, the questions will return a lot of opinions so my questions are:

Should I consider a loose footed sail?

Should I consider a deeper first reef?

What is the experience with full and partial battens?

Any other thoughts for the general good.

As always, thanks for the feedback.

Jim Brener
Wind Spirit #504

jentine

Jim, I didn't see you at the Annapolis show!  ;) I was looking for new sails there as well.  I learned from the many sailmakers that I spoke to there and at the Newport show that the dutchman system requires that you not use a loose footed main.  What would the line pockets attach to?   A dutchman also flakes better with four full battens.  I decided to get my sails from Lee Sails in Patchogue, NY.  The price is much better for the same specifications as everyone else.  They can be contacted at http://www.long-island.com/patchogue/leesailsne.html.
Jim Kane

JIM BRENER 1987 #504 "WI

I realized after I wrote the question that you could not use a Dutchman with a loosefooted main. What remains for me is the choice of battens and is it worth the extra expense for  4 full battens, bat cars etc. vs performance and sail handleing.

I will not be rushing into this decision and will speak with more lofts, the more opinions I can get the better.

Jim Brener
Wind Spirit #504

Jon Arck

We replaced our standard-sized main and 110 jib on Tweety Bird, a Mk II, with new sails from Quantum last month.  

The main slightly overlaps the backstay (to stay within our racing rules), has full batten at the top to support the roach, and three 60% battens below.  The new sail is loose-footed, which we were concerned about, but it's proven to be a lot more flexible than the old fixed-foot sail and we're quite pleased with it.

regards,
Jon

jarck

Our Quantum rep has informed us that they have figured-out a way to use the Dutchman with a loose-footed main, and we're considering having done, since we think it's preferable to E-Z Jacks.