Chronicles Of Pau Hana Part 1

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Hi all,
It's Been awhile since I posted last, and this is due for several reasons mostly work related and also due to the fact that I've been struggling lately with a few maintenance issues and a temporary setback in my confidence. :oops:
I thought I would write this thread while enjoying a nice rainy day aboard Pau Hana and chronicle a few lessons learned that I confronted over the past year and those in particular over the summer and now late Fall.
Section 1 - Challenges and solutions:
1.  Beginning mid-summer I began noticing a problem with my Lifeline AGM batteries slowly losing their charge and what seemed to be my battery charger not charging.  After extensive troubleshooting and seeking advice from the forum (Yes Stu, I have a working schematic of my electrical system now) I isolated the problem to bad batteries.  Since I was looking at a bank of 4, 6 volt Golf Cart batteries in series parallel as the house bank and a 12 volt starter battery the $$$ layout was extensive at approximately $275 per battery.  For my needs and budget I elected to replace with Traditional Trojan 105's at a substantial savings.  Although they require a little more attention in terms of checking and replacing water, many of my neighbors use traditional flooded lead acid batteries and prefer them over AGM's.  The good news here was learning that my Xantrex battery charger and monitoring system is working fine and now I'm cruising with good batteries. :clap
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Kevin Henderson

2.  Back in September, the Admiral and I were out enjoying a breezy day sailing... Life was good.  Although I knew my 150 Genoa needed some repair, it chose this particular afternoon to fail and the entire leech line tore off and snagged around my spreader.  This was in interesting predicament for me and especially the Admiral. :nail  To our credit we managed to unsnag the beast and furl up the Genoa but for a time we were an interesting sight on the bay for all the other boats.  I dropped the Genoa at the local Ullman sail loft and they agreed, as I had already known, that she was a goner... However...  I managed to order a new 135 Genoa for delivery in March for an amazing 50% off.  Additionally, the sail maker said they could give a patch up stitch on the old sail that should get me through the summer.  So while I'm sailing now with a patched up old rag, I've got a spiffy new sail to look forward to in the spring. :clap
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Kevin Henderson

3.  In June I had Pau Hana hauled out for a bottom job.  This I thought was to be a major maintenance milestone for me.  My original Diving service that will remain unmentioned had been diving the boat and had charged me for new zincs and his report stated that the bottom was in terrible shape and in need of bottom paint. :shock: :shock: :shock:  Obviously, the diver had not dove on the boat and I immediately challenged the service and fired them.  (Gotta have a diver I can trust).  After a great referral from Ralph AKA SDDIVER (Ciao Bella) I hired Henry Wing of Wings Diving.  Henry is meticulous and trustworthy beyond reproach.  In October, Henry informed me that my new bottom paint was cracking and he suggested I call the yard and inform them of the poor quality of the bottom.  I made arrangements to have the boat hauled out and yes indeed the bottom was cracking in places.  The Yard manager at Shelter Island Boatyard said that the bottom paint applied was incompatible with the previously applied paint.  While I was hoping to get entirely new bottom paint, the Yard agreed to keep the boat and repair as best they could the bottom.  While not completely satisfied with this result, I felt it better than creating a ruckus and threatening small claims court etc.  What I found amazing in all this was that my new Diver, Henry, Showed up at the Yard during haul out and explained to them what he was seeing on the bottom of the boat.  Amazing Service!!!!  Did I mention this is Henry Wing of Wings Diving in San Diego?  :thumb: :thumb:  With even newer, patched bottom paint on Pau Hana I set out for my next adventure.
~Henry David Thoreau

Kevin Henderson

4.  I had been long looking forward to soloing Pau Hana and since it was difficult for me to get someone to come with me for my trip from the Boatyard back to the Marina, I elected this time for my solo adventure... Just me and my trusty dog, alone, sunset cruise down San Diego Bay on a warm autumn night.  After checking in with the yard office and paying $00.00 for my haul out and paint I loaded my dog Daisy (100 pound Lab) onto the boat and made ready for my departure.  I had ready my trusty aft spring line made up to both the port and starboard midship cleats.  Skipper and crew had personal flotation devices (yes... even the dog) 8), Line, communications, signaling devices, binoculars, dog treats and soda's all at the ready.  All seacocks were opened.  Everything made ready.  I started the engine and let her run for a while as I finalized my preparations.  Water was flowing from the exhaust... check!  Steeling my nerves I singled up my lines, cast off the remaining line and hopped aboard.  Skillfully and successfully I maneuvered Pau Hana from the yard Dock and into the Shelter Island Commercial Basin.  Life was good. 8) 8)  Another couple hours and Pau Hana would be safely berthed in her slip down in the South bay.  Just as I was approaching the no wake buoys of the basin and entering the Bay proper, I took another cursory glance back aft to check my exhaust.  No water but white Smoke :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: (later learning this to be steam).  Immediately I looked at my temp gauge and it was rapidly maxing out.  I immediately swung the boat around and fortunately was within a short range of a nearby restaurant dock.  I managed to limp into the dock, cut the engine and use my skills at steering and using my spring line to safely moor at the dock.  For the life of me I could not understand what had just happened. Immediately concerns went racing through my brain about how long the engine had been hot and if I had done permanent damage.  But my immediate concern was what to do next.  I again checked my thru hull and it was open.  I spun off my raw water filter and it was clear.  I pulled the cover from the impeller and it too was in good shape and not shredded.  Since I could not remain docked at the restaurant pier for long I had to get my way back home or back to the boatyard.  If you're reading this and are NOT a member of BOATUS with unlimited towing... JOIN NOW!!! Fortunately I am a member and I have the unlimited towing benefit so I got on the horn and called Vessel Assist.  Within 30 Minutes they arrived and had me towing back down the Bay to my marina.  So here I was... my first solo aboard Pau Hana... me and the dog with an amazing sunset on Beautiful San Diego Bay.... Being towed by Vessel Assist.   Could life be more humiliating?   :? :cry4` :!:
~Henry David Thoreau

Kevin Henderson

5.  It was dark by the time Pau Hana was safely moored back in her slip.  Vessel Assist was a Godsend and the service was courteous and efficient I signed the bill which was $00.00  :D and they reminded me that had I not been a BOATUS member, my towing charge would have been $500.00.  The Admiral was waiting for me at the marina and we both knew it had been a long and arduous day.  The dog was hungry, I was shaken and confused and the Admiral was concerned and supportive.  The only thing left to do was to go home, feed the dog and have a couple beers.  Whatever damage that had been done to the engine, was done.  Earlier in the day while waiting for vessel assist I had given Henry my Diver a call.  Did I mention Wings Diving service in San Diego?  :thumb: :thumb: His business Partner, Craig Coleman of Coleman Enterprises is an awesome engine guy. :thumb: :thumb:  I asked Henry to Contact his Partner and give me a call so we could meet and assess the inevitable damage and $$$$$$ estimation for engine repairs.  The next Saturday, Craig met me at the boat and I explained the situation that had occurred.  Of course the first thing he asked was "were you certain the Thru Hull was opened?"  Understandable that he should ask but I assured him that I had checked that along with the raw water filter and the impeller... all of which were good.  Since the boat had been hauled out and bottom paint applied, there was a chance that something could have been blocking the intake from the Bottom of the hull.  Henry, of Wings Diving service checked it out and found that the intake was clear.  So, as Craig and I began to discuss all this we took the next step and decided to start the engine.  The engine immediately started with no unusual noises or difficulty, however, there was no water coming from the exhaust.  We immediately shut down and Craig did a few more checks and determined that ..... Wait one....... That NO DAMAGE HAD OCCURRED TO THE ENGINE!    I also explained to Craig that I had even had gone so far as to check out the hose that was feeding the water pump (clear) and the hoses running from the heat exchanger to the muffler (clear).  This left only one other possibility and that being the heat exchanger.  With the help of Craig, we pulled the HX and sure enough, one line was pretty well blocked up.  I had the HX cleaned at a local radiator shop and while it was out took all the mandatory precautionary measure of changing oil and filters.  Changing coolant and changing the impeller and thermostat (160).  Heck I even figured that while I had access I even changed my transmission fluid.  Which brings me to today.... A Saturday afternoon in the rain sitting aboard Pau Hana.  The engine is fine, and she runs at a comfortable 165 degrees.  Can't wait for the weather to clear and get back out on the water.
~Henry David Thoreau

Kevin Henderson

Chronicles of Pau Hana – Lessons learned.
1.  Most of my fears have been overcome by the tenacity of seeing a problem through.  And in the end, the problem not being as great as my fear. 8)
2.  Sail the boat and enjoy!  Just before my overheating situation, the previous week was spent as a "staycation" aboard Pau Hana... just the Admiral and me (and the dog).  It was luxurious sailing on a whim and the weekend was finished off with a nice day sail with friends and Puu Puu's aboard afterward. 8) :D 
3.  The Catalina 34 is a fantastic boat that is supportive and forgiving.  And the Universal 25XP is solidly built and capable of rebounding from conceivably unforgivable situations. :thumb: 
4.  Trust your instincts and sailing/boat handling skills.  Whether it's trying to tame an unruly and damaged sail or performing an emergency docking while soloing, never underestimate your instincts and the lessons you have learned from this forum or your personal experiences. :thumb:
5.  Accept the fact that some things beyond your control will occur.  No matter your attention to detail and advance preparation, Murphy will inevitably show his ugly face when you least expect it.  Refer to lesson 4 and deal with the situation with confidence and determination. 8)
6.  Learn your systems aboard the boat.  This cannot be said enough and I personally still have a lot to learn.  However, dig in and research your boat, your systems, your hoses, your electrical, engine, rigging, heck, even the cushions and stereo.  The more you learn, the less intimidating they all become.  This is important since when lesson #5 occurs you can immediately reference lesson #4. 8)
7.  Talk to your friends and boat neighbors about who the good venders are and learn from their lessons.  As Will Rogers once said:   "There are three kinds of men.  The one that learns by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."  Unfortunately, I tend to fall into the third category. :shock: :?
8 take time to sail the boat.  If even for only a couple hours.  Get out there and beat the wind... enjoy! :abd:
~Henry David Thoreau

lazybone

9.  Never let the Boat know you are afraid.  It will take advantage and F--- with your mind.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

10.  The more you use your boat, the less issues you will have.

11.  "The reason we use the boat so much is that we'll know what we have to fix."  (Courtesy - Dave Galson, 2005)

12.  "I'm really a powerboater, I just have a boat with sails so I can hang around with a nicer class of people." (Courtesy - Roger Long, 2011)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

Thanks Kevin, a good laugh and also good ideas!  It really is amazing how much work there is to keep a boat going!!
Scotty