Traveler screws... oh how I curse you

Previous topic - Next topic

noworries

Got one end off.

Broke the head of one screw off.  Drilled a small hole down the middle... got a little bigger bit and snapped it off in the hole... couldn't get it out so it's going to take some major surgery now.

Probably end up taking 6 hours to get the old one off and 15 minutes to get the new one on. 

I CURSE YOU SCREWS!!!! CURSE!!!!
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stu Jackson

Lanocote will be your very best friend in the future... :abd:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

noworries

I got some... sitting there... patiently waiting.

Ralph Masters

It's like I tell the wife every project we undertake, " There is no such thing as a 5 minute job".

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Guys : the important thing is to get something on the threads that will coat the threads, especially between two differant metals i.e. stainless screw into aluminum. 

Stu likes Lanocote great stuff. 
I use water proof or resistant grease, plumbers grease, anti seize or even Vaseline.

JUST MAKE SURE THERE IS A COATING !!
Ron, Apache #788

mel low

Doing the traveler screw replacement myself. I have found damage that looks like the traveler was pulled up and the fiberglass was damaged. My question: after repairing the fiberglass would it be better to put two next size larger bolts through the cabin on each side instead of trying to tab the stripped out short bolts that are in place in the fiberglass?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mel low on August 07, 2011, 08:23:15 PM
Doing the traveler screw replacement myself. I have found damage that looks like the traveler was pulled up and the fiberglass was damaged. My question: after repairing the fiberglass would it be better to put two next size larger bolts through the cabin on each side instead of trying to tab the stripped out short bolts that are in place in the fiberglass?

Mel, assume you've seen this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg35491.html

Yes, since if after doing the fiberglass repair, those embedded plates may not be where you need them to be.  Just thru bolt two on each side and you'll have it made.

Sorry to hear it happened to you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

noworries

noworries

BTW what are the other lugs on the traveler car for?  Just to add an extra line and pull on it if needed or ???

Ken Juul

Nice job!!  I would suggest you shorten the tail of the bowline so it doesn't accidentally get caught up in one of the sheaves.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA