Porthole question - why?

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

On my 1987 C-34, there are 3 different lock downs on my portholes.  The 6 opening portholes in the salon and V-berth are one kind, the one in the head is #2 and the 2 in the aft cabin are #3.  Why did Catalina install 3 different lock downs?
I'm sure there is a valid reason...but it escapes me.

Ron Hill

chuck : The only way you'll get an answer to your question is to ask Gerry Douglas. 
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

I'm just curious.  Thought someone would know.
Who's Gerry Douglas?  I assume someone at Catalina?

Lance Jones

Funny answer. Gerry Douglas designed the boat and all the Catalina's after it.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

It was done that way just to throw you off.  Like the hatch above the table and the hatch above the V-Berth have different latches as well.  It's one of those cosmic things.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

To quote Douglas Adams:  "42".   :D :D :D
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

since the thread has been hijacked I'll keep it going. 
Gerry Douglas is the chief Designer for Catalina Yachts.  I too thought he designed the C34 until I got a set of the plans.  In the Designer block is Frank Butler's (Owner of CY) name.  I'm sure Gerry had his hand in the MKII upgrades, but Frank designed the original C34.

You owe it to your self to make it to a Catalina Rendezvous.  CY is now owned by Frank, Gerry, and Sharon Day.  All three of them attend the Rendezvous, usually all three days.  All are very approachable, happy to answer questions or listen to recommendations/complaints.  I think it is special, you don't usually get to meet and rub elbows with the Corporate Board of most companies.  At least a couple of them also try to attend at least one day of the major Sailboat shows.  They usually sponsor an Owner's Party after the gates close on one of the nights.  If you plan on attending, ask the local Catalina Dealer, they will know the details.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

chuck53

Thanks for the response guys.

Maybe someday I'll make it to a rendezvous.

Bill Asbury

Frank, Gerry and Sharon have been at the US Sailboat Show in Annapolis regularly in recent years so I expect to see them there this year, too, and they are usually accessible to anyone interested in chatting with them.  Dates for the show are October 6-10.
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Chuck : Let me give you my best guess. 

Knowing Frank Butler there is a $ sign involved and complaints from the 1986 owners !! 
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

By the way, I just replaced the hated grey porthole screens with the new Lewmar black screens with black sliding tabs that actually keep them in place.  They also look almost invisible against the black plastic of the portlights - to my eye, a vast improvement in both form and function.  Catalina Direct told me that they would fit a Mark I boat, another site told me they would not, and Lewmar said buy them from a company with a good return policy because they did not know.  They fit perfectly. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

chuck53

Claygr,
Where did you get the black plastic port lights?  Mine are clear but I would love to have therm much darker.

Clay Greene

Mine are just the standard Lewmar lenses.  They are dark tinted rather than actual "black."
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

Guys : Remember that the early C34s were a work in progress. 
The 1986s are differant from the 1987s, from the 1988s, from the 1989s !!
Ron, Apache #788