Traveler upgrades with Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Volk

Just did a couple of new upgrades on the boat, Thanks to Kevin Henderson in a post back in May, he mentioned using the Rustoleum spray paints for the dorade vents. I took both the dorade boxes & vents home & painted them & they look great now.  Also did the traveller upgrade as there was no way my wife could easily adjust the traveller, and being an ex-racer I'm constantly having her adjust it, which is a requirement when you still have the original main and it has stretched a bit over 18 years. The problem I had is that I have stainless guards over the dorades vents to protect them so I couldn't use the new standard Garhauer system as the guards got in the way of the forward angled blocks on the traveler.  Talking to Guido he mentioned they also had top mounted blocks for the new system. I also said I didn't want the cam cleats on the aft side of the traveler, that I wanted to add the cam cleats on the cabin top in the cockpit, and he said they have an option to add turning blocks on the aft side and have deck mounted turning blocks that mount right below and aft of the traveler to guide the lines to the cockpit.  I also had my canvas man add two large grommets in the dodger to run the lines through, added the cam cleats in the cockpit and everything works great, the Admiral is very very happy.  Attached are a couple of pictures showing this.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ralph Masters

Those traveler lines look great.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

scotty

Scotty

Craig Illman

A really nice setup with great pictures. The red StaSet is a nice touch too!

Ken Juul

Nice install!  For those that have not yet had the opportunity to talk to Mark or Guido at Garhauer, they know our boats and know their hardware.  They truly listen to the customer and can make/modify just about anything to meet your needs.  Their prices and quality are also hard to beat.

No interest in the company....just a very satisfied customer.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Volk

Ken,

I completely agree, I worked with Mark when ordering my fixed vang & the radar post I mounted on the stern, after asking what vintage of boat I had (1.5) and what I wanted, he knew what hardware and misc. mounting material to ship.  On the traveller upgrade, besides the options Guido gave me because of my doarde guard problem he also asked me how the existing cam cleats on the end of the traveller were mounted (mine were on a aluminum pad mounted underneath the traveller) and told me this pad could not be taken out and I would have to hacksaw these off flush with the traveller on both sides so the new traveller center piece could be added and it wasn't a problem.  With the high cost of marine hardware these days it seems that the quality and cost of their hardware is very good.

Also, as you mentioned, no interest in the company, just a satisfied customer.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Kevin Henderson

Ron,  Those Dorades look awesome.  Mine are holding up quite nicely and I even waxed them this past weekend.
And your Traveler?  WOW!! That really seems to be the solution to the difficult cam cleats mounted on the the traveler itself.  Need to put that on my project list.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau