Suitibility of C34 to cruise the caribbean

Previous topic - Next topic

Benasutti

I am considering buying a C34 mkI for an indefinite cruise/live aboard in the Caribbean.  I really like the C34 with a wing keel and I think I can find one in my price range ($30k - $40k) but I am a little concerned whether or not it is a suitable boat for such a cruise.  I know that it was designed as a coastal/weekend cruising boat and some people have told me I an nuts to consider it for anything more than that (these "people" are Island Packett & Pacific Seacraft owners, neither of which are in my price range) so I thought I would get the opinions of some C34 owners. 

Our plan is for my girlfriend and I to set sail in the summer of 2013 from Lake Superior (where we sail a Bayfield 25 now) thought the great lakes and Erie canal, down the East coast to the Caribbean and do the "loop" down there over the course of several years and never come back.  We do not plan to be on any schedule and therefore can wait for weather windows for any crossings but as we all know, we WILL get caught in heavy weather and seas at sometime and I am a little concerned about how the C34 will handle it.

I have been sailing for 15 years and I am used to my Bayfield which is a small yet full keel heavy boat that does a good job of taking care of us when the wind and seas pipe up and I like that security thus my hesitation to move to a lighter displacement boat (for its size) although the speed and pointing ability of the C34 would be nice.  Plus, I love the accommodations of the C34!!!

Any thoughts, comments or further questions would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who has sailed a C34 in the Caribbean or off shore.

Thanks,
Brian
Future C34 owner????

noworries

I've got some friends who just raced a similar era C38 in transpac.  Just be sure you consider all your expenses when picking out your boat.  An older C34 might seem like a deal until you have to replace all the standing and running rigging and everything else that is worn out.  Point is if you get a $30k boat and drop $30k on it you might as well consider a newer $60k boat.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stu Jackson

Latitude 38 had an article on just this question from a C34 owner.  You can download and read the magazine at www.latitude38.com.  They gave a very long and interesting answer, perhaps not as specific to a C34 as your question seems to be, but a good one nonetheless.

The article is titled: Mexico vs the Caribbean.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Interesting question, particularly as we are actually in the process of getting our 1990 C34 (Tampa based ready for a cruise to the Bahamas and possibly south.  And yes, we have just retired and moved aboard.  We have owned our C34 for approximately 7 years, and lived aboard and sailed her every summer and over a few Christmas holidays (we were teachers).  In short, we have done a lot of cruising, and been caught out in heavy weather, etc.  During this time, we have found the C34 very comfortable to live aboard and maintain, and with surprisingly better storage than expected for extended cruising.  One wish would be for more tankage, for water and diesel, but we carry extras of both in 5 gallon jerry cans and get by.  As for the safety of the boat in lumpy seas, we would not cross the Atlantic or Pacific in her (although some do!), but as a coastal cruiser we regularly go into the Gulf or Atlantic 40 to 50 miles and she handles the occasional storm very well.  So, island hopping should be not problems if you are willing to wait for weather windows. We have met C34 sailors going down and through the Panama canal with no difficulties. Somewhere on this site is an analysis of the C34's ratios and sea-keeping abilities (quite good).  Regarding costs, you should budget for quite a bit of system replacements/updates (bottom paint, wiring, hoses, pumps, batteries, sails, rigging, engine parts, outboard, dingy, ground tackle, head, safety gear, sealants, shade canvess, etc.), and quite a bit of time to do the work.  Also, make sure that your survey includes a diesel mechanic looking over the engine.  Over the past 7 years, we have spent approximately 3k per year on maintenance, with few actual upgrades - some years much less, and some years a lot more, but averaging 3k per year.  When we were shopping, we found very little difference between 1990 and 2000 year boats, in terms of maintenance needs, so went with a lower price and the integral swin platform. Our boat is in good shape, but still needs work as all boats do. Getting ready for this trip, we will probably spend 5k, with us doing most of the work. Before signing for a C34, you will get a survey and then we would suggest drawing a list of replacement parts and their costs. A 30K boat will eventually cost 40K to 50K, but be a great cruiser!  Just a few thoughts and fair winds. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

I know of 4 C34s that have made the trip South to the Bahamas and back.  One made 3 of those  passages.  I don't know of any structural problems that they had.

Just make sure everything is updated from 20 years ago and you have a good engine and transmission.   
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

One of our long term goals is to reach the Bahamas via the ICW.  This thread is pretty interesting to us.

Stu could you toss me a bone concerning the Latitude article you mentioned above?  I've looked and looked that link over and simply can't find anything about a C34.  Thanks!!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stephen Butler

Do not recall where I read it, but there was an article about a group of C250s sailing from Florida to the Bahamas each year.  They wait for a weather window and make the cruise together.  Apparantly without difficulties. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

n624ma

Joseph Rheubeck

Lance Jones

I know from a live-aboard perspective, the C-34 is tight; but, very comfortable for my wife, two dogs and me. As to the area you're cruising, the C-34 will measure up well as long as you don't try a trans-at or trans-pac. Always keep a weather eye out for...weather -- just as you would for any vessel. Carry spare water and fuel and spare spares!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tommyt

I would think that if you can deal with the tankage issue the boat would be a good platform. Weather windows are an issue on any boat and should be watched. Based on your current sailing grounds you will be prepared for it as Superior is no slouch for quick weather changes and unfriendly shorelines.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

hump180

You will have no problem with the C34 as a carribean cruising boat. Just pay close attention to all the above points. Read them and then read them again. These pages are your support system in all matters pertaining to the boat and you will find them invaluable to your ongoing plans. Remember to update as many systems as possible while at home. Better to do a bottom job and other maintenace items if needed while at home rather than rely on unfamiliar places. There will always be things that pop up, but a little planning can save some pains later.  
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

waterdog

We took a C34 down the West Coast from BC to Southern Mexico and up in to the Sea of Cortez.   Wouldn't hesitate to go again in the same boat.   

We will go cruising again.     I would seriously think about buying a C34 in Florida and doing the Bahamas and down through the Caribbean.    That competes seriously with the thought of buying a Beneteau in Croatia...   But Stu is right, get a watermaker.   Seriously think through your power strategy.  Pull the stick and replace / inspect everything.  Know your engine.  Spare it well.   Get good ground tackle.  Sleep well. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

karista

Quote from: Stephen Butler on August 01, 2011, 05:33:09 PM
Interesting question, particularly as we are actually in the process of getting our 1990 C34 (Tampa based ready for a cruise to the Bahamas and possibly south.  And yes, we have just retired and moved aboard.

Steve
In what Marina is your boat located? We also have a 1990, Hull 1012 and are in Tierra Verde, planning on going to the Keys and on south soon.

Bernd
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ted Pounds

Quote from: waterdog on August 03, 2011, 12:04:12 AM
We took a C34 down the West Coast from BC to Southern Mexico and up in to the Sea of Cortez.   Wouldn't hesitate to go again in the same boat.   

We will go cruising again.     I would seriously think about buying a C34 in Florida and doing the Bahamas and down through the Caribbean.    That competes seriously with the thought of buying a Beneteau in Croatia...   But Stu is right, get a watermaker.   Seriously think through your power strategy.  Pull the stick and replace / inspect everything.  Know your engine.  Spare it well.   Get good ground tackle.  Sleep well. 

Brian, you need to take a look at all of Steve Dolling's posts and read his blog.  They'll tell you all you need to know about prepping for your trip.  And they'll show you that the C34 is as good a boat as any for that trip...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447