A lesson remembered

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I am an avid reader of history during the age of sail. They always mention reducing sail at night. When I would sail the Gulf of Mexico, I would too as you can't read the weather and wind as well. That being said, I was out sailing Saturday night. The sky was cloudy and we were getting the first spits of rain from TD Lee. As it was raining, and the wind was about 5kts, The admiral and guests had gone below to avoid getting wet. No worries. Suddenly, wind rose to 20kts sustained with gusts to about 35. LOVELY!

Let her round up into the wind a bit and had an awfully enjoyable ride! I love strong wind and have sailed in it many times. As I was unable to reduce sail, I just kept her pinched a bit. We were still making over 7.8!!!!!

After about 20 minutes, the storm was gone and the wind was back to 5-10. So, i relearned an old lesson, even on a lake, keep sail short if you can't see conditions at night.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

Lance,
7.8 is great, WOW.  And thanks for the history lesson.  If it's blowing I generally don't run the head sail out.  Last weekend it was blowing 15 - 20 in southbay here in San Dieg, and we saw at least 4 boats with fouled head sails, not sure how they did those, but I was glad I did not have to muck about with a head sail.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Rick Johnson

Remember to Beat To Quarters just before dawn also...
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Indian Falls

I've been out a time or two in 20kts.  The first time with experienced crew on MY boat. (it doesn't get better than that for inexperienced sailors does it?)  Waves were 6 feet, and we only let the head sail out about half - to best estimate, 60%.  Glad we didn't have to mess with the main sail.  It's a chore putting it down when it's windy.  Had a blast and learned there was nothing to fear with this boat.  I have the continuous roller furling and a 155.  Head into wind start pulling on the winch and ease it out, cleating is tough though, it's gotta be tight and there's no jam cleat. 

So what are we doing wrong O' master sailors???

Let me add that twice I was single handing in 15+kts and the whole head sail unfurls without being able to stop it.  Had I been blessed with an able crew, this may not have occurred, however I got it rolled up about half and had no issues,  easy to roll up when it's time to motor in. 
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?