Wind Instrument Wiring

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Dervin

We had our local marina step the mast and reconnect the nav lights and radar wiring prior to launching a few weeks ago.  I was perplexed when I discovered an additional wire coming out of the bottom of the mast.  The wires were bare at the end and apparently had been connected to something.  It wasn't until I noticed that the Wind Instruments did not work that the answer became apparent.  The installation manual suggests the use of a junction box to join the mast head wiring to the instrument display wiring.  Anyone care to suggest a logical place to begin my search for the junction box?

Stu Jackson

ACE Hardware or Home Depot, electrical dept., waterproof junction boxes.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Mine was under the forward end of the dinette seat, right next to the mast step on my keel-stepped mast...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

md : As Stu mentioned you need a waterproof junction box - especially if you pull your mast frequently.

I'm sure that your initial inst package had one of those boxes.  a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Dervin

Thanks Ted. I will begin my search there.  We have owned the boat for 6 months now and I discover something new about it everyday.  The resources and help on this web site and the association has been very helpful.  I will check that the junction box is waterproof.