Head Hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

HydroTherapy

I have a 1987 C34.  I still have this bad odor in my boat/builge.  Somebody suggested that the odor could be in the hoses, even though they are not leaking.  
Could this cause an odor that is throughout the boat when closed up?  
Is it a tough job to replace?
Someone recommended the Builge Buster.  Where would be the best place to mount.

Thank you,

David

Stu Jackson

David

You'd posted a question back in August.  I assume that you've checked out the responses, and may have concluded that the remaining problem you have IS your hoses.

In that case, given your 1987 vintage, replacing them is reasonably easy, given the great access on our boats.

Only you are aware of your abilities in doing the replacement yourself, but regardless of how the hoses are installed, it's do-able.

Some have the thru hull in the hanging locker by the nav station, others are forward in the holding tank area.

Other than the connections to the macerator pump, if you even have one, it's straightforward (looking sideways most of the time :eek:)

Hose material?  Check the archives on the prior reference I suggested to you in your August original question.  Also, consider Catalina as a source of information, although local purchasing would most likely be easiest.

Good luck and please let us know about your (successful) experiences.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Deb & Andy

We just purchased a 1989 C34 and had it hauled for a trip from Oregon to Mexico. A survey was conducted and a recommendation was made to replace the head hoses and the plastic holding tank to get rid of an odour in the boat. I have never smelled anything like it. It did not smell like sewer but it was unpleasant.  There were no leaks in the hoses but if you put your nose close to the hose you could smell it. As a matter of fact anything kept in the boat smelled like it.

Replacing the hoses was simple. Our through hole was in the tank compartment under the port settee. First we filled the holding tank with fresh water and pumped it out several times. Next we put in some of that blue powder for R.V’s. Next we ran a garden hose into our bilge. Now “Swan” was on the hard but this could be done in the water. We undid the hose clamps and yes we did get a bit of blue water in the bilge but pumped it out with the bilge pump. We replaced the black hose with a recommended white marine sewer type hose, re-clamped with double SS clamps and the smell was gone. The macerator pump had to be removed and re-installed but not a problem. Once this was done we decided not to replace the holding tank. The job was not that bad, have fun, Deb & Andy on “Swan” (soon to be) in Mexico.

Roc

David,
Go to the FAQ page on this website and click on Marine Sanitation - Fact vs Folkore.  In there is the method to check to see if the hoses are permeated.  However, based on the age of your boat, it probably is time to replace them.  The best sanitation hose on the market is called 'OdorSafe'.  I believe WM sells it now. I don't know where you keep your boat in the winter months, but if you are in a cold climate, that is the best time to change the hoses (you don't want to tackle this on a warm humid day)..  The cold climate will make the excercise alittle more pleasant.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

David,

I highly recommend Roc's suggestion of checking the Fact vs Folklore Link...I know for a fact Peggy Hall (Fact vs Folklore) is "THE EXPERT" on the subject and gives awesome advice...FYI; She is usually lurking around the Sailing World Bulletin Board everyday...

Something else to consider; are you sure the odor is not coming from input lines going to the head (flushing water supply lines)?  

After being away from my boat for approx 1 or 2 weeks, the saltwater on the input side stinks something aweful; just like raw sewage.  But this smell only occurs during the first two flushes; once the stale saltwater is moved through the system, the smell goes away...The smell does not return until the saltwater goes stale again...
The only other time the head smells is when someone leaves saltwater standing in the bowl...

I believe there was a write-up in the tech notes about this issue; purging the saltwater out of these lines by filling with fresh water from the head sink drain line...

Hope this helps,
Tom

PAUL T.

David...... I never ever put seawater in the holding tank. Seawater has tiny critters in it that die in your holding tank and cause the big stink. I use the wand from the sink to fill the toilet, a little extra effort but its worth it to have a sweet smelling boat! Some boats have a dedicated water tank for this purpose.  You still will want to change the hoses and maybe the holding tank, relatively inexpensive to have an oder free boat.  Just a thought.... PAUL

PAUL T.

Forgot to mention..... Do you have a dripless shaft seal? There is nothing as sweet as a dry bilge..... Smelly seawater sloshing around in the bilge is no help!!  PAUL

HydroTherapy

Hello,

Thanks to everybody for the great information.  I hope to start changing the hoses soon.  I think this is going to help a lot.

David
HydroTherapy

kss1220

We can really relate to the problems you have experienced.  We have discovered a solution that has proven to be flawless. Upon leaving the boat we evacuate the holding tank and pour into the head one cup of SUDSY type ammonia.  It must be sudsy ammonia in order to work. After that we add fresh water from the heads sink wand directly into the head about one gallon.  Make sure you shut off the sea water seacock that feeds the head.  What you are trying to do is eliminate any seawater from sitting in the head tank while you are away.  The ammonia acts not only as a sanitizer but a mask of the odor as well.  Try it!  It works great for us.

Kelly Steck

Roc

I would be hesitant in putting harsh chemicals into the holding tank.  The first is environmental concerns.  But the other is that the pump mechanism in the head is not designed to withstand chemicals that you would normally use in your house.  There are rubber parts and so forth and these can degrade easily when in contact with chemicals not designed for marine heads.  Just a thought...

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD