Cowl Vent Touch Up

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

I've been noticing that my Cowl vents on the cabin top have been looking a little dingy and worn.  I have tried to clean them but nothing seems to brighten them up. I looked through previous articles on freshening up the look of the cowl vents and found that someone had recommended Krylon Dover White spray paint for plastic. 

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3439.0.html

I just came back from Home Depot and they no longer carry Krylon.  Instead I purchased an equivalent paint made by Rust-Oleum specifically for plastic.  (211339 White and 211367 Sunrise Red)  Has anybody else tried this alternative?  I'm looking forward to painting my cowl vents this weekend and even picked up a can of red to freshen up the inside of the vent.  Any comments on previously used products or results, and cautions are welcome, as always.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

noworries

I cleaned mine up with a magic eraser... if you haven't already tried that.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Kirk Garner

Ditto on the Magic Eraser. They didn't end up looking brand new but sure made them look much, much better!
Kirk Garner

sselinger

I've used the Krylon paint after cleaning with lacquer thinner. Worked well, they look good and this is the third year after painting.

I'm sure the paint from Rustoleum should work as well if it is for plastic.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Ralph Masters

We lost one over the side when the jib sheet caught it so I had to replace it, I bought two so they'd look alike.  sailing is always such an adventure. And inexpensive too.

Ralph
Ciao Bella

Kevin,
We'll be in port this Saturday if you want to check out the engine wire harness upgrade.  We're moving to an upwind slip, 119, for now till one comes open on our side again.  That sun blazing in all summer we're not big on.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Clay Greene

I would try Prism Polish and then some Starbrite cleaner/wax before painting them.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

We've been using compounding and then boat wax (Collinite Fleetwax).  Lasts for about a year.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Cleaned mine with Prism Polish as well.

Ron Hill

Guys : In the 24 seasons that I've had my C34 I've tried "all of the above". 
Finally treated myself to two stainless cowl vent from Vetus.  Look on the internet and you'll find them cheaper than from Vetus. 
A thought   :D :D
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

One of my cowl vents is kinda crushed, that is, not round like the other one, has anyone had this problem and able to fix it?  Thanks  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Sure, I have.  There are three reasons we get new ones:  they get knocked overboard by the mainsheet, they get dull and ugly, or they really, really, really lose their "round" and look horrible.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

Fantastic suggestions so far.  I think I will try to find the Prism Polish and take a crack at the cowl vents with that before breaking out my paint.  I am curious though.  Looking at the Prism website it states that it's good for painted surfaces, gel coat, Plexiglas etc.  By the look at the label and the fact it says "Metal Polish and Fiberglass deoxidizer" I would have never looked twice at it on  a store shelf.  It's for that reason exactly. that I come here to seek solutions.

Ron... I really love the Stainless Steel vents and would love to dress 'Pau Hana' with them.  I'm still a "New To Me" owner and my pocket change is allocated towards other resources for the boat.  But Oh My!!! do those Stainless Steel vents look great.  Definitely on my wish list.

Jeez Ralph...You really moved to the high rent district over there in slip#119.  Perhaps instead of walking over to see you I'll have my Coxswain transport me over in my barge. :razz:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

Kev, and every body else,
The Catalina 36, Maui Lani, is on the market and we're hoping it sells and we can get that slip, just up from where we are now, but on the upwind side.  They are asking 109,000 and it's it is an 2003.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Kevin Henderson

:clap :clap
I just wanted to update on my cowl vents and dorade box bases.  I thoroughly cleaned the vents and the bases and scrubbed as best I could.  Both still looked dingy and worn.  I meticulously masked off the exterior white and applied the Rust-Oleum Sunrise red plastic spray paint to the interior.  I did this for three coats.  After drying, I then masked off the interior red and applied the white Rust-Oleum spray paint for plastic.  Again, three coats.  For the bases I did the same by masking off the areas I did not want to paint and then applied three coats of the Rust-Oleum white spray paint for plastic.  Fantastic results and all for the cost of $12.00 from Home Depot.
They looked so good that it became apparent that other areas of the boat needed attention.  I guess thats why I waxed the entire port side of the hull down to the waterline yesterday :thumb:
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

$12.00 bucks.  BZ Kevin, my new ones only improved the economy by $144.
I'm telling you, untie that thing, it'll be FAR more fun.
We'll have to have you and Nicole over to the new digs in the 60 slip.  If you ever want I'll let you slide in and do your waxing, we could change slips for the day so you could do it.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987