Just about ready to launch...... thankyou very much!

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

It's been a long time on the hard but am about ready to put Dixie back in the water, thanks to many of you on this site! There is really no way I could have done it without your help. Thought I would attach a picture of the M25-XP and wish I would have thought to take a 'before' photo to show how far we've come. This is after having done the wiring harness upgrade, replaced all fuel and water hoses, pulled and cleaned the fuel tank with acetone, pulled the HX and had it boiled out before priming and repainting, chucked the Jabsco and replaced with a Raritan PHII and much more that escapes me at the moment. All this from a guy who hadn't pulled a wrench since the late 60's!

You guys have been very kind and once again, I do appreciate your great advice!

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner

Kirk Garner

and how could I have forgot about the joy I had replacing the cutless bearing and the old oberdorfer with the rusted stud broken off in the block! Makes me break out in a sweat just bringing it up....... but hey, got 'er done!
Kirk Garner

learjetzz

Very Clean , enjoy your Baby , Thanks For The Post.
Fair Winds !

scotty

Wow!  Clean enough to eat off.  Nice work - have a great time!!
Scotty

Jack Hutteball

Nice work Kirk.  We sail out of Skyline in Anacortes.  We will watch for you out there.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

noworries

1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Dave Spencer

Looks fantastic Kirk.  Nice job.  I especially like the looks of the new water pump.  After all that work, don't forget to put the alternator belt back on!  :shock:

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ted Pounds

Looks great!  One suggestion, that I got from the PO, is to put one of those oil absorbing pads under the engine.  It's a just-in-case preventative measure.  Also if there is a very small leak somewhere it'll help you spot it quickly.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

noworries

Quote from: Ted Pounds on April 25, 2011, 05:12:30 AM
Looks great!  One suggestion, that I got from the PO, is to put one of those oil absorbing pads under the engine.  It's a just-in-case preventative measure.  Also if there is a very small leak somewhere it'll help you spot it quickly.

Wouldn't that be a fire hazard?  I wish my bilge and engine compartment was that clean though!
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Michael Shaner

Very nice work Kirk.  :clap 

My "old Sherwood" is going to be worth a mint...museum quality, no doubt...  8)
Michael & Alison Shaner

prh77

One observation....I may be wrong, but those look like the original hoses going from the engine under the floor to the hot water heater. Might want to change them out....a thought.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

mel low

Great job 
Is that new sound insulation on the walls? If so where did you get it?

Kirk Garner

Jack, we will be sailing out of Cap Sante for the Summer, will keep my eyes & ears open!

Dave, no wonder I can't get the batteries to charge!

prh77, all hoses were changed out....... including those which were a real trick!

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner

Kirk Garner

Hi Mel,

Yes, new insulation from WM (about $120.). Somebody told me you can get the same stuff at a car stereo shop that does installations but I didn't have any luck and we have very few of those shops up here. The old insulation was saturated with oil & antifreeze. Can't believe how much better the cabin smells with that taken out!

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner

learjetzz

RE: Insulation. Try SailingSolutions that where I bought mine , but make a template if you can once you peel off the backing ply it Will stick and be a real P.I.A. to reposition  . We noticed a reduction in noise factor especially when you do the platform under the companion steps.