Refrigerant line insulation

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

While mucking around the boat a couple weeks ago I happened to notice my refrigerant line from the compressor to the reefer was not insulated.  I can feel condensation of the line and my thought is when it get hotter outside, the refrigerant potential loss traveling the length of the line may cause the compressor to work harder, not freeze the ice cubes, and even worse, not keep my beer cold.   :shock:
I have read the articles and recommendations about insulating the reefer/icebox insulation itself, but my question is:  Is it advisable to insulate the refrigerant line running from the compressor to the reefer?
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

Kevin,
The line fron the compressor should be insulated.  Use the foam tube stuff that is split and has self stick stuff on it.  The return line could be insulated too but is not as important, it'll be hotter and under where it's run should not pose a burn hazard.  But you might want to wrap it up to to keep the boat a bit cooler.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987