PROPSHAFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL T.

I am hauling the boat out soon for bottom paint and cutlass bearing replacement. If I find that I need a new propshaft, should I go with stainless steel or bronze? Thanx for any input on this subject.   PAUL  "SEAESTA" #766

rirvine

Paul:

I just when through the process of replacing my shaft - not a lot of fun.  I made the decision to go with stainless steel because I did not want to have to revisit the prop shaft question ever again.  I have had very good luck with stainless shafts on other boats.i

malgase

Go to General Propeller Corp.  

These guys supply some or all of the Catalina shafting for the Florida plant, at least in the larger size boats they build there.  When you call for a quote, you need the detail for the end of the shaft, and the overall length required.  Be sure to accommodate the Flex Coupling in the length calculation if you are adding one.

Call and ask for Kevin Arrant.  He gave me great prices on the shaft, the fit and face of the engine coupling flange, and a replacement for the engine coupling flange also.  He even threw in a grit blast and checkout of my prop so I was sure everything was true before it went back in the water. :)

Very satisfied with their product, services, and expertise.  We should have them on the Vendors list in this board if we can . . . .

Michael