Damage to Halyards

Previous topic - Next topic

dave davis

This is a subject that has been discussed before but not in the same details. The subject could be called "how to ruin brand new high tech expensive halyards". The other inheritance to this dilemma is "leaving the tension on the halyard for about two weeks and locking it down in the Garthauer rope clutch." The normal type of line has a soft loose cover and can compress without or with minimum damage. The line that I used has a very high strength and very low stretch. I felt that I needed the slight advantage since racing is really getting tough and every little bit helps. The line that I used is called Crystalyne and goes for the discounted price of $2.88 per ft. I needed 112 feet. Or $322 plus tax etc.
I should have known better than to leave the tension on the line for two weeks. My rigger should have alerted me to the potential problem. Also my Sailmaker should have alered me. I have been told that the new Lewmer rope clutches has a new design that spreads out the load and is gentler on the line. It also has less slip. The cost of a Lewmer triple clutch vs.  Garhauer is significant. I hope I will not have to go there. As a side note, I probably would not have left all the tension on the line if I was not using my new ATM jib sock. That's another story, another time.
Dave Davis
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ralph Masters

Dave,
Thanks for sharing.  Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield.......................
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

Some days you get the elevator; some days you get the shaft....    :D
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090