Minn Kota Electric Trolling Motors for Inflatable

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaFever

Wanted to check if anyone has used the Minn Kota electric motors on their inflatables/dinghies.

I have a 11 ft Achilles with soft bottom, air keel and wood floor. Instead of a gas motor (<20 Hp specified) I am looking into a 45 Lb thrust Minn Kota Riptide series transom mount motor with 36" shaft. Minn Kota factory outlet has it for $301 with free shipping. I think 45 Lb thrust will be enough to propel us at reasonable speed. We plan to use the inflatable for the occasional ride from the mooring to the shore when we go to Angel Island or to the delta...In my mind the advantages of the electric motor are as follows:

• Lower cost compared to gas motor
  • No gas to be carried
  • Easier to handle as it is light weight even considering the battery that we have to move to the dinghy
  • Quiet
  • Environmentally friendly
  • Low maintenance - so far as used and cared for properly

If anyone has used the same please let me know what you have used with the type of dinghy used on and your experience.

Thanks.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

gwp

Should work fine save big headwind or current. The battery is a hassle but offset by avoiding gas tank. Ideally a small aircooled outboard with a integrated fuel tank. Had a Tanaka 3 HP once and loved it. Its a lightweight at about 20 lb. Good luck

Stu Jackson

It'd work at Angel Island, but you'd be very disappointed with it up in the Delta.  While there are a lot of low speed zones for dinghies, like near Lost Slough/Walnut Grove/Locke, there are some pretty far distances to travel, so duration is an issue.  At Three River Reach, near Mandeville Tip, we used to anchor and go to Herman & Helen's for ice and soda.  In our 8'-4" old WM red inflatable with our 1.2 HP Johnson "egg beater" engine, it'd take us a long time and we'd have to bring a separate fuel can 'cuz there was an internal gas tank of like 0.37 gallons which wouldn't make it all the way there (or back!).  We often use our air floor 10'-2" Zodiac to go to Sam's from Ayala Cove.  9.9 2 stroke outboard.  [added - Stu]  Sometimes the water is a bit "challenging" for a dinghy with even that small (big???? - Stu] an engine.

So, like all decisions about dinghies, it really depends on where and how you intend to use it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SeaFever

Thanks for your response guys. Agreed, like with many things related to boats, a lot depends on the use and location of use. At Angel's Island we could probably row, eh?

Don't really have the comparison of lbs of thrust of electric motor vs. hp of the gas motor. The specification of my Achilles SD-11 indicates up to 20 hp engine (but I think that would be overkill). Talking to Minn Kota they specify 2 Lbs of thrust for every 100 Lbs of load! The inflatable is pretty light and does not go much deep at all. So considering ~ 60 lbs for the inflatable, ~600 lbs for the (3) people, then give and take some --- for an average of 1000 lbs one would need 20 lbs of thrust per the above suggestion from Minn Kota. With 45 lbs we would be coasting, wouldn't we? We could also get a 55 lbs transom mount model for not much more. Again without real experience these are just numbers. Another real good point Stu raised is how long can one go for a full battery charge? Don't know. I am sure it depends on the speed (hence current drawn) we go at.

On a separate note, they also sell bow mounted motors. Wonder what people use those for...bow thrusters (with the remote control)? I think these electric motors are great for trolling i.e. for people fishing. The quiet motor does not disturb the fish, eh? Unfortunately that does not help me as I don't catch or consume fish... :D

Gary

Read about an interesting inflatable/electric outboard set up. They mounted permanently, a flexible solar panel on the seat and did a permanent install of a GP 24 Marine Battery under the seat. Makes sense in that you really don't spend that much time sitting there. The article claimed to not have to do any extra charging with moderate use of the motor from mooring to dock.

I like the idea.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ron Hill

Guys : I've had the 1.5hp and 3hp dink engines.  There are times that you really want to kick it in the butt and my 5 hp does just that. 

Not too sure about an electric with a battery,as I've found MANY times it is best to put the dink on the deck or davits when storms are coming.

Going GREEN is nice until they (Congress/EPA) adds 10/15% corn alcohol to my diesel and really screwup a good engine!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Terry Forshier

I sold my old Minkota electric last month. It sat in the shed off and on for 11 years. After having a 3 hp yamaha and a 7.5 evenrude and a now new 9.8 Tohatsu I realized i would never use it again. It was quiet but the battery was never really charged well, the battery was heavy, I never got around to really installilng the battery in a case, it was not powerful enough to do anything with, I did not think it reliable so always was ready to row. I used it on an inflatable and a walker bay 8. The gas engines were so much more reliableand powerful.

SeaFever

Thanks for the insights Ron and Terry. The more I read about it the case for the electric motor gets weaker...