Smaller table in cabin

Previous topic - Next topic

dcalender

We didn't need the full size table and it mostly just got in the way.
I replaced it with this smaller table that is perfect for dining for two or entertaining many.
A little 3/4" plywood covered with laminate and wrapped with stained red oak. [search: saloon table]

Michael Shaner

Very nice! It appears as though someone has taken the time to polish the mast below?
Michael & Alison Shaner

Jeff Kaplan

excellent job, I did the same thing right after I purchased my boat. It makes such a big difference getting into that area just to sit or get to the ports. I keep the old table in the garage wrapped up to give to the next owner, if there is one...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

waterdog

Ooops.  I chopped up my old table turning it into a lap top storage / microwave shelf / bottle storage rack.   I never thought about the next owner!  But that was a good idea Jeff.

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

dcalender

Jeff,

I did the same thing for the same reason, the original table is in the garage.
Dale

gwp

Great ideas. But how did u guys address the sleeping bunk which was deleted which h is where my wife insists on sleeping? Nowhere to stow that honkin thing on board

Ken Juul

I can't find the old message but I think when this was discussed a few years ago someone replied that he had made brackets to hold the table top vertically against the companionway bulkhead just inside the aft cabin.   I have not tried, in my minds eye not sure if there is enough room.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

waterdog

Quote from: gwp on March 07, 2011, 05:54:54 AM
Great ideas. But how did u guys address the sleeping bunk which was deleted which h is where my wife insists on sleeping? Nowhere to stow that honkin thing on board

I made a couple of inserts, held with pins, that span the gaps between the smaller table and the seats so that there is no need to store the big table.  Actually took it a step further so that I don't store the cushion either.  I just have decorative pillows that i stuff the cushion cover with.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

chuck53

Dale,
Nice looking table.  The original owner of my boat did the same, but a little bigger than yours.  I think I like yours better.  My old one is in the garage as well.  We have only used it once as a berth.
Did you decide to keep your boat?  When I looked at it last spring, you seemed to be on the fence as to whether or not you were going to let it go.

Ron Volk

Dale,

I'm trying to get ideas on a decent size and your table looks very good.  Do you have the width & length dimensions.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Lance Jones

I would humbly suggest that this, and the many other, smaller table thread be linked together in its own sticky with direct links to the various table projects on wiki. How come our wikis don't leak?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

lazybone

Quote from: gwp on March 07, 2011, 05:54:54 AM

HaHa, that's funny.  That's the same thing I call my wife.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Lance Jones on March 07, 2011, 12:47:16 PM
I would humbly suggest that this, and the many other, smaller table thread be linked together in its own sticky with direct links to the various table projects on wiki.

Lance, what I've found works quite well is to do a search and post links.  Your choice if you'd like to build a wiki from existing material.  You may note I added a "search" to the OP, says "saloon table" which is one of a few ways to find other ideas.  Not all of them have pictures, some very good ones do.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

I think I just found my next project.  Look in the tech wiki "Interior" under tables.  The posting from "Kindred Spirit" shows the table mounted in the aft cabin, and describes how they did it.  I think I'll just leave mine in the garage.  Slat-boards would be a solution for making the dining area into a bunk.
Scotty

Bobg

I keep my big table on the boat in the aft cabin bungeed just inside the door against the engine wall, fits real good there, and for the cushion, I made a shelf with alum angle iron and 1/8" plywood towards the roof of the aft cabin just far enough down to slip it up there, seems pretty much out of the way for the aft sleepers.  When we have kids on board, they like to sleep in the salon  (that's where the TV is)
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands