Water pump removal (broken stud bolt on block)

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

After discovering that the water pump had been leaking (apparently for a long time that the PO neglected) I removed the water pump and had no problems unboltiing 3 out of the 4 nuts that attach it to the block. On the 4th nut however, with virtually no pressure at all the very rusted stud broke off with the nut, it had to have been barely hanging on. The pump came off of course and there is about 1/2" of the stud protruding from the block. Now what?

Are these studs screwed into the block? If so then I will begin applying the PB Blaster for several days and use heat on the block before I attempt to unscrew but my fear is that the stud will break at the block.

Any idea's from your experience would be greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks, Kirk

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner

lazybone

After the PBB, clean up the threads that are exposed, double nut and try again. If it breaks I'm afraid you might have to drill and extract.
If that goes badly you can overdrill and use a threaded insert.  (don't go to deep)
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Kirk Garner

Not sure what you mean by double nut (put on 2 nuts and then what?)
Kirk Garner

lazybone

Tighten the two nuts against each other so they lock together then use the inside nut to hopefully back out the stud.  Do not tighten the nuts against the engine.  Does that make sense?

(hehe, lots of nut and stud talk here)
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Kirk Garner

Okay, that makes sense, will give it my most studly try in the next day or so.

Thanks, again!
Kirk
Kirk Garner

Ralph Masters

Kirk,
Get that thing out yet??  If so what worked??
Just wondering aloud.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Kirk Garner

That's actually my project today will let you know how it turns out. I have been saturatiing daily with PBB......
Kirk Garner