Tall Rig with original Hood Furler question

Previous topic - Next topic

pjcomeau

I'm looking to get a new headsail and I've misplaced my measurement sheet. The mast is in the sparshed all covered up.

I have an existing jib at home that I used to get measurements and I was surprised at the lenght of the luff.

1988 Tall rig. My sail measures 43' 6". My question is Does anyone else have the luff measurement of a tall rig with the original Hood furler? The numbers in the manual (on this site) has a luff lenght of 44.33' for a furling sail. That's ~10" differences. I'm pretty sure, that if I don't have the furler attached to the deck and there is some room (i.e. I call pull on the halyard). I just don't know how much.

I'm going to the Miami boat show and I would like to order a sail before the launch of my boat (i.e. before I could measure).

Also,

I want to eventually replace the furler. Can people that have before and after numbers of the luff lenght let me know what furler they chose. I'm trying to find a solution that will result in the luff being the same of bigger (and therefore not have problems with new sail).

Thank you very much for your time.
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

Ken Juul

While you are at the show talk to the Pompenette (Hood) folks as well as the other manufacturers of roller furlers.  Should be able to get all the info you need.  Pompenette quoted me $1100 for a new single line furler to replace my old continous line 915, if it is still available it is a deal compared to the others.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

pablosgirl

Hi,

We have an 1988 with the original Hood furler and I measured our 130% jib luff to be 43' 5" while the sail was down for repair.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Joe Holmes

Hi PJ.  I am at Rothesay Yacht Club and also have a 1988 Tall Rig.  I have a Harken roller furler that was installed by the PO.  I have only had the boat for 1 season, but was very satisfied with it.  You are welcome to stop over and have a look, but my mast is also still in the spar shed.  I will be there on Sunday if you are interested.

Joe Holmes
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Stu Jackson

Seems we're talking about luff length, as well as furler gear.

The REAL issue is how high off the deck your furling drum is.  Some have them low for deck sweeper jibs, others, like me, have 'em high for visibility and safety. 

No one "right" way, but for 10" (ten INCHES), only YOU would know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

There are two differant measurements needed :

For a furling system you need the length of the head stay (owners manual or Catalina factory). Then you figure in the length of the tubes, drum assembly length and the toggle length (if you need one - which Hood does).  You'll want the drum low so you can get a good 90degree angle so the furling line will wind into the drum with out "bunching up".

For the sail you'll need a luff length.  The cut of the sail will determine if the sail is a deck sweeper or a higher cut yankee type.  You can also factor in if you want or need a pennant from the drum to the TAC of the sail and the length of that pennant. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788