Stove stuff - Great Wood Work

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

I don't have a pic of our trash  set-up but   we use the space under the first companionway step.  Its just a regular disposable white plastic bag.
In order to make things look a bit more tidy we have a piece of canvas which hangs down on snaps from the bottom of the top step...sort of like a curtain.  We just lift up the canvas flap and fill the bag.

Does that discription make any sense?  :?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ken Juul

I guess I do things kind of backward.  I have a plastic trash can that has been shortened attached to the inside of the water heater door.  I keep all my empty plastic shopping bags in it.  The bag that is collecting trash is attached to end of the teak towel rack on the galley island, centered on the sink, right next to the installed Margarettaville bottle opener :)  I know it is kind of a bad spot for a towel rack, but I've only had to repair it twice in 10 years from someone falling against it, and it is handy to the sink to minimize drips.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Our trash plastic can is under the nav station.  It's held in place by two shock cords tied fore and aft.  Our big Freedom 15 I/C is also back there so the shock cords keep it in place on port tack and the I/C keeps it from sliding back on starboard tack.  At home our trash is under the kitchen sink and I get real tired of having to open a door to drop trash into it.  The open top of our boat trash can is easy, close to the galley and hasn't keeled over on us in 13 years.  And I can simply drop stuff into it without having to open a door or pick up a top for it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Many years ago I wrote (with pictures) of the location of our trash basket.

It is placed just aft of the mast (attached with bungy cord) and is also attached to the center column of the dinette table (bungy cord).  It will stay in place when the leaf of the table is dropped.  The "Don't dump trash" placard is on the top of that trash container.

My crew demanded that it have a lid, so I found one with a lid with a "handle".  It is also a trash compactor as you can manually push down on the handle and compress the trash.

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

MarkT

We have the trashcan under the companion way step also.  The trashcan is a regular plastic bucket with a cardboard box next to it for all the recycle items. The bucket is the perfect size to slip between the steps and is big enough. Having the box next to it means there is no further need to secure it.

Mark Tamblyn

lazybone

Quote from: Ken Juul on January 07, 2011, 09:38:51 AM
I guess I do things kind of backward.  I have a plastic trash can that has been shortened attached to the inside of the water heater door.  I keep all my empty plastic shopping bags in it.  The bag that is collecting trash is attached to end of the teak towel rack on the galley island, centered on the sink, right next to the installed Margarettaville bottle opener :)  I know it is kind of a bad spot for a towel rack, but I've only had to repair it twice in 10 years from someone falling against it, and it is handy to the sink to minimize drips.

Hey Ken, just for info.  A trashbin was mounted as a standard factory item to the back of the water heater door when I bought my cat.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Exodus

I didn't know if it was factory or an upgrade, but I also have a trash can mounted to the back of the water heater door.

Ken Juul

Thanks!  Thats an interesting bit of trivia I didn' know.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA