Off Brand Generators - Recent Experiences?

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

In renewing my annual consideration as to whether to purchase a Honda 2000 generator, I have seen quite a few "off-brand" systems online which seem to be pretty equivalent for significantlty less dollars.  Unlike others I have seen in the past these new models (Honeywell, Kipor, Yamaha) are more self contained, weather protected, quiet etc.  Basically Honda copy-cats from an appearance and alledged performance standpoint.  I have looked at older threads but wanted to see if anyone had any recent experiences (good or bad) with any of these non-Honda generators.  I suspect I will go with the Honda but worth checking.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stu Jackson

Joe, I figure you've seen Steve's "Taking One for the Team" thread:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4394.0.html

In reviewing this issue on many other message boards, Steve's conclusions are still correct.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Kern

Thanks Stu I did.  I may be wrong but it seems as if there have been more company's trying to compete with the Honda siunce then and wanted to see if anyone had tried anything.  Worth checking but know me I suspect I will just get the Honda.  Dependability is worth some $$
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ted Pounds

I would suspect the Yamaha is worth looking at.  It seems a comparable brand to Honda.  I've had a Yamaha outboard for my dingy for over 10 years and it still works great and is very quiet.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I have seen the Honeywell generators at Costco and wondered how well they worked.
Anyone have any experience with them?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : When I bought my Honda I also was looking at the Yamaha.  They were identical in output, nearly the same size and other features.  I asked the dealer (who sold both) which one I should buy.  He said they were nearly identical and asked "which color I preferred", blue or red? 
I selected the red Honda as I thought(don't know that for sure) that parts & service might be more readily available for the Honda.

I can't speak for the Honeywell or an other genset, but I'm not sure that Honeywell makes their own engines like Honda or Yamaha.  To me the engine is the heart of the generator and needs to be the most  reliable part of it.  You might want to check that out before buying another brand. 
A few thoughts 

Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

5 years ago, we started looking for a method of recharging our batteries while on the hook.  After researching solar, wind, and larger alternators, we took Ron's advice and looked at the Honda 1000, and subsequently purchased one. 5 years on, we have been extremely pleased with the purchase.   The unit is compact and relatively light, and easy to store in the cockpit locker.  The noise level is minimal; fuel consumption is extremely low; and parts if needed are readily available.  In 5 years, we have changed a spark plug and the oil.  During this time and to last year, we have seen many boats with other brands, both known and unknown, new and used, and without exception they were unhappy custormers.  Typically, the complaints included difficulty starting after a years, size and weight of the units to easily move and set up, delays in getting parts, and noise/vibration levels.   Next year, the admiral wants us to take aother look at solar, but the Honda is definitely staying aboard.  And no, we do not work for Honda.  Hope this is of some help. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stephen Butler

Should have added that we have 20A charger, 4 golf cart batteries in the house bank, and never discharge below 50%.  We bring out the Honda from the locker, place it on either the locker hatch or the coaming (depends on wind and air flow), and usually connect it to the shore power socket.  We never run it at night. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Fuzzy

Steve:
We also have 4 golf cart batteries and a 20amp charger.  How long on average does it take to bring the batteries up to a
full charge from around 50% or 60%??
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Fuzzy on January 05, 2011, 08:01:22 PM
Steve:
We also have 4 golf cart batteries and a 20amp charger.  How long on average does it take to bring the batteries up to a
full charge from around 50% or 60%??

Larry,

It could well be overnight.  This is because of battery acceptance.  As the bank gets fuller it can only absorb a diminishing amount of input amps.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4787.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Stu's comments are right on the mark.  The ONLY time our house bank reaches a full recharge is when we are at a dock for a couple of days and plugged into shore power...that last 20% takes more time that we want to run the Honda to achieve.   On the hook, we will typically run the bank down over a 2 day period to approximately 50% and then recharge to approximately 80% to 85% with the Honda.  This takes around 4 to 5 hours.  Please note that we have a 20 year old Lewco brand charger...big, clunky, but gets the job done and has given us excellent battery life(we are considering a new charger/inverter, but lots of other places to spend boat dollars).  Hope this is of help.   
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023