Facebook page

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I've started this gnu thread to get it off of the original New Owners thread.
I've started to BUILD a Facebook page to draw people to the C-34IA webpage. Please look at it, make suggestions and even "Like" it. Here is the link to it:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Catalina-34-International-Association/137984386255993

We're already up to 9 friends.

Ed. [fixed link URL - Stu]
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Stu,
If you will look at the FB Info tab, you'll find all the info you suggested.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Cool post of Facebook Joe. Was it hard to post a video?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Joe Kern

I had previously uploaded it to Google video (because of the file size) and really just uploaded the link.  That being said I have easily uploaded videos to Facebook but they do have a file size limit.  You can do it right from the wall.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Joe Kern

I sent my significant other the Facebook link and she joined up.   She is familiar with the existence of the C34 Forum since I talk about it all the time but it is not something she would typically follow due to the more technical nature of it.  Another nice benefit of the Facebook page might be for the less involved husbands/wives and significant others of those of us who regularly haunt the forum.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Lance Jones

I'm starting to add discussion pages to Facebook. The first three give links to the Tech Wiki, Projects Page and to this forum. Any suggestions for other discussion links?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

One other note about the Facebook and Website relationship. One additional benefit is that by linking as many of the pages as we can, we INCREASE our relevance on Google and other search engines.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

I was thinking about suggesting that Facebook be used for documenting cruise stories etc that was suggested in the other thread.  But with the recent concerns about security it might not be a good idea to tell the world that you are vacationing on the boat, leaving your house/cars unoccupied for a period of time.  Safest plan is to document/share your trips in the Cruising Wiki upon your return.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Joe Kern

Lance - For the reasons previously discussed re diversion from this site, I would limit the "Discussion Topics" on the FB Page or not even use them except to point people to this forum (which is pretty much what your notes say I realize).  To me the Wall is the best place to share the kinds of day to day stuff and pictures that does not really work on the more technical C34 Forum.  Since if someone posts on the Wall all the page group members get notified on their own status updates (or by SMS if they want that) then that will accomplish the purpose.   No need to add a layer to that by having to go from the FB main page to a discussion page. 
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Lance Jones

Good points Ken and Joe.
I intend the FB page to be a redirect (For the most part) back to the website. Ken, you're definitely right about informing the public at large about, "Hey, I'm out sailing right now, come and rob me house." It is a more informal way of posting quick images and more importantly, video highlighting our wonderful boats.

To be honest, posting the images in photobucket is tedious and time consuming. FB is just one or two clicks and you can get a cruise worth of images in one upload.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance,

"Daily Discussions" links to the General Activities page and doesn't mention the Main Message Board.

Please revise the link from what it is to: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/board,11.0.html

Thanks,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Would any of the officers like to be admins on the Facebook page? If so, requires you to have a FB account. Also, do any other fleets want me to post info as I did with the Photos from Fleet 13?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Paulus

Just a reminder that FB is a social page with a lot of so called "friends".  It reminds me of warm summer weekends at the dock, drinking beer, socializing, making friends after a few beers and tell stories of sailing adventures. I like the technical aspect of our website and if you want to share with someone your sailing experience you can. Most of us just want to go sailing.  My two cents worth.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Joe Kern

27 members already and a posting today from a new person with a new to them C34  thanking Lance for creating a FB page.  Great job Lance and before anyone says anything this was my response to her (name blocked out)

"Joe Kern Welcome _______. And make sure you check out the Association Page, Forum and and join the C34 Association!!! http://www.c34.org/

ยท LikeUnlikeWrite a comment...
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl