Dog repair in overhead opening port in head

Previous topic - Next topic

pablosgirl

All,

I have developed a leak in the overhead hatch in the head around the dog/latch.  It seams that 20+ years of sunlight has eroded the plastic head of latch bolt that goes through the lens to the point that the latch no longer pulls the hatch tight against it's gasket.  The o-ring is shot/missing also.  Has anyone replaced this latch/dog before and where do I find parts?  Is it a Bolmer or a Lemar hatch?  I have a 1988 model, hull number 551.  I did a search on the web site and found some hits on the forward hatch.  Is the head hatch just a smaller  square version of the front trapezoidal hatch with just a single dog/latch?  Can I just buy a latch for the front hatch and use it in the head hatch?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : Your head hatch is a Bomar made hatch.  If you go on line to the Bomar site you can get a blowup of that hatch and see how to take that hatch handle apart from the lens.  I believe that the handle gasket is worn out and all you need is a new gasket.

You can also call Bomar at (603)826-5791 in NH and talk to their customer service. 

If you are interested in a new hatch contact Defender.  A few thoughts   
Ron, Apache #788

pablosgirl

Called Bomar customer support today about a replacement mushroom cap and found out the following:

1) The first two digits of the serial number are the year the hatch is made.  Mine was 860...., which means that it was made in 1986 (my boat is an 88') and they don't make the direct replacement mushroom cap any more for that old of a hatch.  They do make a replacement cap/handle assembly though.

2) Remove the handle and check the end of the mushroom cap where the handle attaches.  If the end of the mushroom cap shaft is square, then this is the new style and you can order just a replacement mushroom cap for $9 (this means that the mushroom cap/handle was previously replaced).  If the end is round, then this is the old style/original mushroom cap and you will have to buy a complete mushroom/latch assembly that will replace the old.

I plan to go by the boat and take the handle off to see which I have and what to order.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Ken Juul

Thanks for sharing.

I have posted the info in the Ports and Hatchlight section of the wiki.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA