Stargazing

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

I've been looking for a cost effective star program, and just today stumbled upon this little gem:

http://www.stellarium.org/

The price is right and it's pretty neat and easy to use.  Zoom's cool, too.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe and Carol

Stu:

One of our great pleasures of sailing is night sky star gazing.  We visually track the space station, find out if our sailor friends know the stars/planets and debate, in layman's terms, Einsteins theories of the universe.  The Milky Way is spectacular from Stockton Lake!

And of course . . . the conversational point of why the moon looks larger as it rises?  Thanks for the post on the stars.

Joe and Carol
YachtaSea  244
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Jim Hardesty

Stu,
Thanks for sharing :clap   It's great.  One of the things that I do less of in retirement is night sailing.  I miss it and hope to do more next season.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

sail4dale

.....Thanks  ... outstanding program
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Terry Forshier

FYI ...Iphone users..there are several free apps for finding plants and constellations. Search the app store. I like planets and planet finder. Sailing along at night you can just point the iphone and it shows the horizon and canoutline the constellations etc.