what stain will match teak on 86

Previous topic - Next topic

mel low

Building new teak doors and  I am looking for a stain to match existing. Found posting for M-II but nothing for M-I.

hump180

Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Ron Hill

Mel : I wouldn't use any stain!!

What I do when I add a new piece of teak is to put a couple of coats of "Golden" teak oil on it.  It'll take about 6 months and it will have the same slightly red tinge as the rest of your interior teak.  The light (not UV) will eventually turn the teak the same color as the other interior teak.  
Just pull the cushion away from the teak bulkhead just forward of the mast and you'll see brownish teak where the cushion is and a reddish teak above where the cushion doesn't cover.  

A darker stain than the light teak will make the teak much darker, where as the unstained oiled teak will turn naturally somewhat darker all by itself.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Soko

Mel,
Minwax Red Oak is also pretty much a perfect match on raw teak for '86 and '87 boats (and possibly other years, too).
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Whenever we've added teak down below on our '86 model, we've simply used teak oil.  The color usually matches quite well.  We only use teak oil on our interior wood.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

MarkT

What I did when making my new doors was to take a drawer from the v berth area home and then use that to figure out just how much stain to apply. Just keep applying stain to a scrap until you get the right color. Now stain your piece the same. In my case I was staining mahogany to match the interior and found the minwax red oak to be perfect. Though I did have to put several coats on to match.

At the recommendation of a cabinet maker and sailor friend I tried the minwax antique oil for a final finish. I'm very happy with it and it seems to last a lot longer than my previous experience with teak oil.  YMMV but thats my $0.02

Mark Tamblyn