Weird stuff in bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck West

There is a strange crystaline substance  (fresh water boat) accumulating on the keel bolts and a dark blue green liquid in bilge. The liquid has the consistency of light oil like transmission fluid. Can't find the source.  Any ideas?

PAUL T.

Since there are no fluids in the engine that are dark blue green and oily, could it be that a container is leaking somewhere on the boat or was something spilled? 2 Cycle outboard motor oil is the only thing I can think of that is dark blue  green. Just a thought, good luck!!PAUL  SEAESTA #766

Chuck West

I think I figured it out.  A couple of weeks ago I topped off the batteries.  I wasn't real neat about it and the overflow ended up in the bilge. When I sprinkle baking soda in the bilge it bubbles like crazy. The crystaline substance is corrosion on the keel bolts.  I think the acid may be attacking the bilge pump and creating the blue green color.  Any suggestions on the best way to clean this up.  Thanks for the input.

That drip free packing gland sounds like a great idea.

Ted Pounds

I'm not a chemist, but... I think more baking soda in the bilge to help neutralize the acid.  Then flush with LOTS of fresh water.  The resulting products of the soda and the acid should be harmless so you can pump them and the water overboard.  I think it makes salts and CO2. You might want to throw an oil absorber in there to make sure no oil gets pumped.  Good luck.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447