Harken Jack Line Kit

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

I'm thinking about adding Harken jack lines to my boat.  I've read a lot about jack lines on the forum.  Thanks for the information.  My two questions are:  Do any of you have the Harken kits on your boats?  Are you happy with them?  Also, did you use the Medium size?  Oh yeah, did you install them with the upper end above or below the spreaders? (OK, four questions and counting! )

Thanks,

Scotty
Scotty

cmainprize

Hi Scott
I would skip the prepacked kit from Harken.  You will end up paying to much.  We made our own four leg system in a couple of hours for half the price of the kit.  We choose to place a small cheek block just above the spreaders and down the mast then attach about six feet of bungee cord to the bottom.  The bungee cord holds the lines tight but allows the lines to stretch when the main is pressing against the lines off the wind.  This saves having to loosen the lines after the sail is up.  Our lines are attached to a sail bag, but the concept the same. 

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ken Juul

I agree with Cory.  Easy enough to make your own.  Check the Wiki, I think there are instructions or search the message board.  Mine are attached above the spreaders, the line is about 1/4".  I have a 3 leg system, wish I had a 4th.  The sail tends to fall off near the end of the boom.  I alway loosen the Jack lines before raising the sail, otherwise the battens get caught.  Tried the bungee method and it didn't work for me.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rick Johnson

Another vote for making your own.  An easy project and I saved some money.  I used 3/16" line because West Marine had it on sale.  Added the cheek blocks about 2' above the spreaders.  I have a 3 leg system and also have issues with the end of the sail falling off the boom.  Let me know if you want pictures.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

horsemel

Rick,
Pictures would be nice.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

scotty

Thanks for the input.  By the way, I had also looked up other links in the forum (as well as lots of google searches.  I went down to West Marine today and bought the components.  I'll be putting them together next week.  I'll let you know how it works out. 

The weather looks perfect for this weekend (I'm in Santa Cruz, CA) so I'll be out for a sail with my wife.  I think one of my kids and his wife will be joining us (on Saturday).  Hope all of you have a great weekend - perhaps with a little sailing time too!
Scotty

Ron Hill

Scotty : You can buy your jackline strapping material from Defender - that's what I did. 
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I think Scotty is talking about lazy jacks, not jack lines.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net