Gas cap

Previous topic - Next topic

sailaway

I have an 1986  hull number 95 . I will be at annapolis next weekend. I don't have a gas cap at home . does any one know what size and tread they are. Charlie

Ron Hill

Charlie : The size and threads of the "winch handle" gas cap are strange and the only place I know that you can get one is Catalina Direct.  You probably will NOT find one at the boat show!!
The best thing that you can do is get an entirely new stainless fuel fill assembly.  The plastic ones are expensive - they also crack and leak. 
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

You can buy these (once every 12 years):  http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=975

I just bought a new diesel and two waters.  12 years, not too bad for $60.

Or you could spend a lot of money for a new assembly and there are four of them:  diesel fill, waste and two waters (please, also remember when purchasing if you go this route that each water inlet is a different size hose!!!).

Your boat, your choice.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailaway

Hi guys I was hoping for a stainless cap. Charlie

horsemel

Hi Charlie,
I have the same issue.  In Stu's post to Catalina Direct there is an alternate choice for the stainless steel unit.  The whole replacement is 25 bucks so I will probably order one as soon as I measure the size of the hole.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ron Hill

Guys : I appreciate Stu's comments, but the only real problem with the fuel fill cap.  That fuel fill cap has a documented history (back to 1990)  of cracking and letting rain or "washing the boat water" into the fuel system. 
Why not just splurge on a $25/30 stainless fuel cap assembly and be done with that problem!!??!!   A thought   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788