Annapolis Boat show 2010

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

If the 355 is still there on Monday I will be looking and taking some pictures.  I also plan to see how easy it is to rip the head sink out  :D
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

BillG

Weather was beautiful today for the opening of the boat show.
Although Soundings's " Trade Only" said there were alot more
exhibitors present, my take was that there were a lot less boats on display this
year than any previous year that I had seen.  Catalina had the 355 sitting there and it
has some really nice features, but she doesn't have the lines of a 34. 
What more can I say!
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Stephen Butler

Starting to feel "sorry" for that new head sink.  If it can survive the boat show then it can survive anything.  Looking forward to seeing some impressions and pictures of the 355.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Joe Kern on October 07, 2010, 06:14:02 AM
If the 355 is still there on Monday I will be looking and taking some pictures.  I also plan to see how easy it is to rip the head sink out  :D

Looks easy to rip out.  Harder to put back in. :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Kern

That may be the one thing on a boat that is ok for 5200.  :clap
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Roger Blake

Say it today. NO to the head sink. Cabinetry looks good. Other than that, can we say C34? Like the lines of the C34 better.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Steve McGill

My guess is that this being hull #1, we may very likely see minor changes as the line progresses, with the head sink being one of the first changes.

Will be at the show tomorrow (Saturday) will judge for myself first hand.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

c34no1471

I got a good look at the C355 today at the show.  I very much like the main cabin--the starboard seats and the neatly folding dinette table are fabulous. 

I share the concerns about the head sink. 

I was very impressed with the anchor windlass--with a split chain and "rope" drum.  Almost enough to sell me on the boat.

I caught the last part of Gerry Douglas's 11 AM seminar.  He made a very credible case for their decision to make in-mast furling standard. With the rig designed for it, allowing for a larger main, for example, it should sail well.  And as he said, the customers want it! 

I asked about the outboard Genoa track on the 34 which is missing on the 355.  He had an excellent response--the inboard track is still impressively long, and the aluminum toe rail has lots of places to put a snatch block, so the outboard track is not necessary.  Of course I should have figured that out!

About the lines--I'm terribly biased, but I think the C34 is prettier.
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

c34no1471

Oops...I meant PORT seats, of course.  Sorry.
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

horsemel

First impressions of a first time Annapolis boat show attendee.  IT IS BIG!.  I agree that the lines of the 355 are not as nice as the 34, but I was really impressed with the boat.  So many great improvements over our MK I.  I like the electrical panel, storage and especially the slotted toe rail.  I have always felt the enclosed scupper drainss on the 34 MKI were a very poor design so was glad to see them continue with the open drains.  The one cabin feature I have alsays wished was on the 34 are the two chairs like on the 36.  Glad to see them on the 355.    I agree that Hunter has made some big improvements in their line, but still think that the overall work on the Catalina is better and nicer.  The boats that have always made me salivate are the Tartans.  Won't spend the money for one, but I really like the woodwork on the Tartans.  We bought a couple of the Fender Grip products.  It looks like a good thing for adjusting fenders.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

horsemel

Had another good day at the boat show.  Enjoyed the party for the Catalina owners too.  In the afternoon we left the show and went to see the sights at the Naval Academy.  We enjoyed the museum as the exhibits have been completely redone and modernized since our last trip several years ago.  WE had to leave at closing and this fellow followed us out the door.  Seems he is the assistant curator and head curator for all of the ships models in the museum.  He spent about 20 minutes with us on the front porch of  the museum tellilng us about the ships model collection that dates to 1650.  Learned a lot from him and gave us an insight into ships and their history we were completely ingnorant about.  If you have not seen the museium at the academy you should go.  Their ships model collection alone is worth the trip.Our visit with him made the highpoint of the day.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ken Juul

The 355 presents itself much better in person than in the pictures.  Crowd was huge so I didn't get to poke around as much as I would have liked.  Lots of comments on the head sink, the standard answer from the sales rep is that it was done that way to allow more counter space in the head.  Deck design was good, finally real stainless rub rails.  The bow sprit looks a bit wimpy, but Catalina never underdesigns, so it is probably just my perception.  I think it will sell.  But the Admiral and I still prefer our 34.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bill Asbury

I saw and liked the 355 at the show, too.  Liked the bare wire lifelines, which I've thought for some time were preferable.  Liked the addition of frontloading fridge along with top loader, one of which might be a freezer but didn't check.  Liked the steps on each side of v-berth for ease of entry and egress.  Not too sure about electrical panel with black background in glass-enclosed cabinet, wondering if togle labels would be as easy to read as on our boat with white background.  Didn't check engine access, just did a cursory once-over with so many people wanting to see the boat.  Probably forgetting other interesting features.
Bottom line:  Admiral and I agree we are pleased with our 34 and wouldn't go on the hook for the $$$ to move up to the 355. 
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Looks like most of the Vberth storage on the port side (3 drawers & bottom door) are gone. 
Hard to believe that the lady designer got to Jerry Doughas on the head sink!!
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

It was great to see and meet all the C34 owners that came by the Gill booth! Thanks for stopping by.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622