C34 - C36 - E35 - Trying to decide

Previous topic - Next topic

drcam1

I am looking to purchase a sailboat that I can shorthand (singlehand) sail on Lake Erie, stay overnight in relative comfort with my kids, and do some weekend racing.  I really like the C34, but have heard some naysayers call it a "sailing bathtub"  The PHRF ratings don't look that bad to me.  I do like the in-cockpit mainsheet on the Ericson 35 for singlehand sailing.  Can anyone comment on solo mainsail handling on the C34 and performance in general?  I would be looking for the tall rig with the 5'7" fin keel.  To fit my price point, I am looking at 1988 - 1995 boats.  THANKS!

Ken Juul

C34 & the C36 are basically the same boat with different interiors. Water line lengths are 29.8 vrs 30.25, beam is 11.9 on both.  From the year range you are looking at MK1 or early MKII models.  Need to decide early if you want the wider transom on the MKII and which interior you like better to help narrow your choices.

Googled Ericson 35.  Water line length is listed at 25.8, beam of 10.  Long overhangs at the bow and stern add up to make it a 35.  It is 2' narrower, more traditional design.  Thus the bathtub comment.

Lots of us single hand our C34s.  Wheel friction or the autopilot is used when you have to go forward to adjust the mainsheet.  I made my traveller leads long enough to reach the wheel, use it for fine control or to dump if necessary.  I'm sure the racers will chime in, but the Catalina prefers to stay on it's feet, 15-20° of heel, the design of the E35 means it has to heel to take advantage of the long overhangs, some folks are comfortable with the larger heel angles, some not.

From the New England PHRF website, base boats before mods:  C34: fin 150, fin tall rig 144.  C36: fin 138, fin tall rig 132.  E35-1 195, E35-2 150, E35-3 123.  Would indicate that unless you get the E35-3 the boats are all pretty well matched with the C36 slightly faster.  Again I'm sure the racers will give you some actual comparisions.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

I've been singlehanding our C34 since we got her in 1998.  Also a great light air boat.  Whoever said "bathtub" has NO idea what he's talking about.

Might wanna read the two articles at the top of this:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

Also leaf through this message board, there are a few posts asking the same question.

The other thing you may not find elsewhere:  this message board and the website has over 20 years of experience and assistance.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

drcam1

The fact that the C34 likes to stay on her feet is a major plus for me.  Heel angle is fine, but if you are always trying to throw in a reef, it makes for ALOT of work!  I will check out the FAQ page.  Thanks for the replies so far.

Jim Hardesty

I sail Lake Erie, last time I looked at the log was over 1200nm so far this year, some singlehandling, mostly with my wife, I normally do 95% of the boat handling.  I very much like my 34MKll.  Sail handling, I do everything from the cockpit but set the spinnaker.  The previous owner took it to the North Chanel by himself.
One suggestion.  With the deep draft you would not have a problem sailing in Lake Erie...But..if you travel you need to be very cautious docking around the lake.  My last boat had a 4'11" draft, I was very carefull, still every year I would bump somewhere.  5' 7" draft and a year with low water levels would be limiting.
Best of Luck finding it right boat.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

drcam1

Jim,

As I spend more time on the forum, it sounds like the shallower draft models don't really give up much in performance to the deep draft, so maybe I'll look at wing keel.  I crewed for a boat on Labor Day weekend this year that was grounded at the dock for a while due to water levels, so I see your point!

dodgercc27

I purchased a 1989 C34 this year.  My previous boat for the last 9 yrs was a C&C 27 MKIII.  I purchased the C34 because I love the layout down below...plenty of room and comfort.  Up above the cockpit is long and roomy.  I sail Lake Ontario and I have spent lots of time on Lake Erie as well. For Lake Erie I would consider the shoal draft keel. I think the performance difference is minimal and I think you can make that up with good sails.  I have two kids and they love the boat. 

As for performance, I am very pleased with it.  As already mentioned, the heel degree is comfortable and I didn't loose any equipment on the floor sailing this year.   The only thing that my old C&C did better than my C34 is that I could point the C&C closer to the wind. 

I agree with the previous posts, this boat is not a bathtub!

But to each their own.  Good luck in your search.

Stephen Butler

Another opinion...we waited some 15 years before purchasing a larger sailboat (no time to really use a larger boat, or so we thought), so had a decade+ to shop and compare.  We ended up with a C34.  Why?  Interior layout, ability to sail well on most points of sail and in most sea conditions, quality of build vs price, ability for an owner to do most if not all of the maintenance/enhancements, good resale value, good looks, intended coastal cruising, and frankly speaking, this website and the experience and expertise it offers.  It was all a combination that short of a semi-custom boat at a much higher cost, we couldn't match...and we looked hard!   We have owned the boat for some years now, spend a few months each year aboard, and our only regret is that we waited so many years to purchase, rather than making more time to sail.  Just one couple's experience; hope it helps. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

drcam1

Well......now all I have to do is wait to find a freshwater C34 MKII with a walk through transom in my price range!  I greatly appreciate all the feedback and am now sold on the C34!

Stephen Butler

One more opinion...find the best condition C34 for your budget, and grab it.  C34's are hard to find, and depending on how the boat will be used, a walk-through stern may not be the optimum choice.  We were looking for a walk-through stern fresh water boat when we happened upon a model with the built in swim platform, based out of Ft. Lauderdale....boat was in great condition, easy to get into and out of the water from the stern, more storage space, less hull bending, and a much more secure feeling on night sails in the Gulf.  It all depends on the budget and intended use.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

hump180

drcam, remember that sailing upright sometimes takes a reef. No boat sails upright without crew input when there is wind. There are many days I am too lazy to reef and sailed with a buried rail. The boat does not really like this and prefers a reef to stay upright in over 18kts and the sweetspot is more like 12-15knts for full sail. But this is typical of most wider beam boats.

These boats are neither bathtubs or speed demons, they are a moderate performance with a lot of cockpit and a comfortable interior for the size.

My boat is just like stephen's with a swim platform (scoop)(transition year between walk and no walk) but no walk thru. A walk thru transom was much more money when we were looking and we ended up using some of the deifference to do many upgrades/refits.

About the draft - I have a wing which works out great in the shallow western basin, although when the water is down my wing bogs down trying to plow through the mud in the marina. The problem as mentioned is not the lake, it is the marinas.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

horsemel

We also sail Lake Erie and I have to add my vote for the wing keel.  Our previous boat was a c30 with the fin keel and there were marinas and areas where it just was not the best option.  I made sure we got the wing keel when we bought this boat.  Remember that water levels drop in the late season.  Hope you find a good one.
Best Regards,
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

drcam1

Great advice from all.  Thanks!!!  Given where I will be sailing I think I will definitely be willing to give up a couple of degrees to wind in order to get the better clearance at the marinas.  I think Sandusky Bay dropped 18" on Labor Day weekend due to the wind conditions this year and that is likely where I will end up.