Raymarine ST60 depth

Previous topic - Next topic

paule

Went fpr a sail today and all was fine my ST60 depth was reading fine. the wind picked up on the way up the sound to about 18 and choppy.
Then the depth was giving me wrong depths. For example where I know it is about 12' it was giving a reading of 22'. That is not all it would then climb and come back down. Even in the slip it would climb and then drop to normal depth. Any ideas I just had the bottom cleaned 2 weeks ago by my diver.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Roc

Paul,
About a year after I bought my boat (2001), I was getting funny readings, kind of like you are experiencing.  Where I knew it was several feet deep, it was giving me readings far deeper.  I believe when there is churned up mud in the water, it could fool the transducer in giving shallower readings, but I suspect this isn't the case since you are getting deeper readings.  I called Raymarine and they had me send the head in. They upgraded the program and I've never had a problem ever since.  Our boats are around the same age, so maybe your depth sounder program needs updating.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

paule

When you say the head you mean the unit at the instrument pod?
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Roc

Yes, the unit on the instrument pod.  Call Raymarine and see what they say.  Before you call, go into the mode on the unit that lets you access the number of the program that is loaded onto your depth sounder.  Look at the manual, it will show you how.  Have it available so when you call, it will help them diagnose your problem. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

dodgercc27

I also have Raymarine ST60 speed, depth, autohelm and wind.  They were purchased around 2008 so I'm not sure what year yours is.  I haven't experienced any problems yet. 

On a side note, what do you do with your instruments during the winter (for those of you that have winters) ?